Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AmraniO
Frequent Visitor

Auto update of dashboard

Hello everyone,

Probably this question has been asked by several members, but so far, I haven't found any real solution that can fit to the requirement of one of our clients. Let me explain the scenario:

- Datasource used is the SQL Analysis Services on-premises.

- When the user hit the "refresh" button in the report section, he can see always the latest update as it's a live connection which is fine!

- Now, with the dashboard! It's updated every 15 mins as per the documentation of PowerBI. Sometimes the 15 mins can be more or less, so it's not consistent

- For some unknown reasons, the same dashboard for differents machines are not sync. You can see this by adding the "latest refresh time" on dashboard tile. Therefore, the user has to force the update thanks to "Refresh dashboard tile" option.

My questions:

1. Is there any way how we can sync all clients to see the same picture of dashboard?

2. Can we "force the update" somehow by using any 3rd party software? 

3. Streaming live data ca be used with SSAS? emmm!

Thanks for leting me know your feedback and recommendations!

Omar

6 REPLIES 6

@AmraniO

Can you clarify something for me. What is the need for all machines to be synced at the dashboard level at the exact same time? 

1. Is there any way how we can sync all clients to see the same picture of dashboard? - Not that I am aware of, though this does pose an interesting question on how the sync occurs. I would think it would be on a tenant level. How different are the refresh times?

2. Can we "force the update" somehow by using any 3rd party software? - Again, not that I'm aware of.

3. Streaming live data ca be used with SSAS? emmm! - You can add live streaming into your model, but you could add a live streaming tile to the dashboard from a different dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer for reaching out my post.

The reason to have all machines synced is that there are three big screens placed on three different places that are displaying the same dashboard. The dashboard contains some real-time KPIs.

I'm so interested about the 3rd point, do you have any example how I can proceed to make streaming live connected to my SSAS Tabular model?

Kind Regards;

Omar

@AmraniO There are a couple threads that describe how to do this, but it is using the report itself, not the dashboard. Mostly because of the limitations that you describe.

If you have the report page showing on the monitors (not the dashboard), there are 3rd party browser plug-ins that can refresh the page. Thus giving you a "real time" look at whatever is in your SSAS model. The side effect of this is that my other recommendation of live streaming tiles would no longer apply 😞

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, I am not sure by refreshing the page might result the issue. I would instead prefer to trigger the button "refresh" at the report section by any 3rd party if this could be possible. Thank you!

@AmraniO By default, interacting with a report using Direct Query or Live Connection pulls the latest information and it should be displayed. So, there shouldn't be any issues using the report page...

Maybe someone else can offer a more developer centric solution to execute an actual refresh, but the fix here seems to be just using the report page instead of the dashboard (for the time being).

@Seth_C_Bauer appreciate your feedback! I would prefer that this option comes by default with PowerBI, hope to hear adding these features in the next releases...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors