Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

np4120
Frequent Visitor

Are Google App account with custom domain name considered company accounts

One of my clients uses Google Apps for their corporate email and when I share a dashboard they get a message saying they recently changed their password - use the new password. But the password is correct and they never get access.  After that i add them as a external user in my Azure AD and they can access Visual Studio online fine as an external user but get same password message in power BI online. In fact when they click the share link they get a message we recognize you and login but the password error occurs

Norman P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Herbert 

The short answer is yes but there is a caveat and what i think is an issue that needs to be looked at in terms of the second scenario. 

1 - Client is using google app and has a custom domain. They can sign up for powerbi with no problem and they have no problem accessing the shared dashboard. 

2.  Client is using google app and has a custom domain and there account is an external partner in my Azure AD as we use Visual Studio online to communicate bugs, feature requests and review their status.  In this case they login to PowerBI service and get the message we know you and ask them to login in. The following list the various attempts to share the dashboard and the eventual resolution which is really not acceptable. 

1.   Client gets your password was changed enter new password - there is not new password
  2.  I go to Office 365 admin and reset the external account password 
  3. They can know signup for PowerBI 
  4. I share the dashboard using the email that comes up in the drop-down whcih is the external partner account. They get the message you don't have access to this dashboard. So cancel invite. 
  5. Share again using the google app email address - they get you don't have acccess to the dashboard. 
  6. Go to Office 365 AD and remove the user as an external partner account - wait 60 minutes and re-share the dashboard to the google app email - It Works - But now that account cannot use Visual Studio Online.

So it appears there is an issue in terms of autentication when their is an external partner account that happens to be a google app 

NormanP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@np4120

Can your clients sign up and sign in Power BI Service directly with their Google Apps email account (not through the share link)? If they can sign up, it indicates that Google App account with custom domain name is considered company accounts, because Power BI requires that you use a work, or school, email address to sign up. 

Best Regards,

Herbert

Herbert 

The short answer is yes but there is a caveat and what i think is an issue that needs to be looked at in terms of the second scenario. 

1 - Client is using google app and has a custom domain. They can sign up for powerbi with no problem and they have no problem accessing the shared dashboard. 

2.  Client is using google app and has a custom domain and there account is an external partner in my Azure AD as we use Visual Studio online to communicate bugs, feature requests and review their status.  In this case they login to PowerBI service and get the message we know you and ask them to login in. The following list the various attempts to share the dashboard and the eventual resolution which is really not acceptable. 

1.   Client gets your password was changed enter new password - there is not new password
  2.  I go to Office 365 admin and reset the external account password 
  3. They can know signup for PowerBI 
  4. I share the dashboard using the email that comes up in the drop-down whcih is the external partner account. They get the message you don't have access to this dashboard. So cancel invite. 
  5. Share again using the google app email address - they get you don't have acccess to the dashboard. 
  6. Go to Office 365 AD and remove the user as an external partner account - wait 60 minutes and re-share the dashboard to the google app email - It Works - But now that account cannot use Visual Studio Online.

So it appears there is an issue in terms of autentication when their is an external partner account that happens to be a google app 

NormanP

@np4120

After you share the dashboard using your client’s email, did your client use the same email address as you type in the share page to access that dashboard? If client signs up with any other email address, client won't have access to the dashboard.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Client used the same address as the one entered on the share dialog. While they were still and external partner they got the permission error - one remove from Azure AD as external partner they could access the dashboard. 

NormanP

np4120
Frequent Visitor

Did not see this limitation on the powerbi site (at least did not notice) but on the Azure AD site one of its limations is noted as 

• PowerBI doesn't currently support access by external users

For me this is a huge limitation and the sharing option shows these users when i start typing in the email address.  i have a couple of clients on google apps that interface with us as external users to access Visual Studio Online.  Based on the last couple days the same user cannot access Visual Studio online and Power BI service. Yet Powerbi can report metric on Visual Studio Online.  

Seems MS needs to close the loop - IMHO 

NormanP

@np4120

Have you tried the function of Publish to web? You can either send the link via email or embed the report in a public website.

Best Regards,

Herbert

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do they have a PowerBI Service Account? You are Right. Google Apps account with custom domain name is considered a company account. They can open a new powerbi service account as well.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors