Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

App/App Workspace confirmation required please?

Hi,

I have the following scneario and would like some confirmation on how to provide access to the users based on their usage, please.

The user DanA creates an AppWorkspace (AW) named 'WorldSales'. The AW is Private and Members can edit Power BI content the AW's content. DanA is an Admin user in this AW. There are no other users at this time.

The DanA account has developed a report named 'SalesByCountry', within his Desktop environment. The DanA account then publishes the 'SalesByCountry' report to the 'WorldSales' AW.

Below are the user requirements and underneath that is, in red, is how I would grant the access. Please can you confirm if this is the correct practice:

-- 1 user would like to be able to create new reports from the published 'SalesByCountry' report's dataset and look to create dashboards from those newly created reports.

--This 1 user will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as an Admin user. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--2 users would like to be able to see the content of the newly created reports being developed within the AW but do no more than this. They do not want to help develop the report, or refresh the dataset, or amend the AW users access.

--These 2 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Member users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--3 users would like to amend the published 'SalesByCountry' reports by changing the visuals (say, from a bar-chart to a pie-chart).

--These 3 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--5 users would like to be able to refresh the 'SalesByCountry' report, and the newly created reports from the published dataset, although those wanting to refresh it are not the 2 users that developed the new reports.

--These 5 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--10 users would like to do nothing more than add/remove/edit the users in the 'WorldSales' AW.

--These 10 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--15 users just want to be able to view the report and do no more than that.

--Do these 15 users need to be added to the AW as Member users, or not added to the AW but instead when the App is published those user's email address should be included on the 'Access' tab's address list? If they are to be added as Member users then they will need a Power BI Pro license, but if they are to be just added to the 'Access' tab's address list then they can just be Power BI Free users?

Please confirm, or correct, my approach above??

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the following scneario and would like some confirmation on how to provide access to the users based on their usage, please.

The user DanA creates an AppWorkspace (AW) named 'WorldSales'. The AW is Private and Members can edit Power BI content the AW's content. DanA is an Admin user in this AW. There are no other users at this time.

The DanA account has developed a report named 'SalesByCountry', within his Desktop environment. The DanA account then publishes the 'SalesByCountry' report to the 'WorldSales' AW.

Below are the user requirements and underneath that is, in red, is how I would grant the access. Please can you confirm if this is the correct practice:

-- 1 user would like to be able to create new reports from the published 'SalesByCountry' report's dataset and look to create dashboards from those newly created reports.

--This 1 user will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as an Admin user. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--2 users would like to be able to see the content of the newly created reports being developed within the AW but do no more than this. They do not want to help develop the report, or refresh the dataset, or amend the AW users access.

--These 3 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Member users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--3 users would like to amend the published 'SalesByCountry' reports by changing the visuals (say, from a bar-chart to a pie-chart).

--These 3 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--5 users would like to be able to refresh the 'SalesByCountry' report, and the newly created reports from the published dataset, although those wanting to refresh it are not the 2 users that developed the new reports.

--These 5 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--10 users would like to do nothing more than add/remove/edit the users in the 'WorldSales' AW.

--These 10 users will need to be added to the 'WorldSales' AW as Admin users. This will provide them with the access they need. Being added to the AW they will need to be Power BI Pro users. Is this the right access and info?

--15 users just want to be able to view the report and do no more than that.

--Do these 15 users need to be added to the AW as Member users, or not added to the AW but instead when the App is published those user's email address should be included on the 'Access' tab's address list? If they are to be added as Member users then they will need a Power BI Pro license, but if they are to be just added to the 'Access' tab's address list then they can just be Power BI Free users?

Please confirm, or correct, my approach above??

Thanks in advance.

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In Power BI, any usage of App/App workspace requires Pro license. And for user need to Edit workspace itself, like add/remove users, you need to grant them "Admin". To edit the contents in App workspace, you only need to give them Member permission.

Reference:
Power BI Premium - what is it?

Create and distribute an app in Power BI

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

I have two further questions:

1) When you say "To edit the contents in App workspace, you only need to give them Member permission." - what exactly do you mean by this?  As when I was doing some testing, as an Member user I couldn't create a new report using the dataset in the App Workspace, and neither could I change the visuals in the App Workspace's report as a Member user. As an Admin user I could do both of these things.

2) You mention "In Power BI, any usage of App/App workspace requires Pro license." - What about if I were to create a dashboard from a report in the App Workspace, and then share the dashboard to other users, by simply entering the email address of user in the share box, then

a) it states the users I'd be sharing the dashboard with will have the same access as me - if I'm an Admin user and wishing to just share the dashboard with other users, does this mean these other users will have Admin rights to the App Workspace too?

b) I also understand the App Workspace users can only be users inside of the organisation's tennant. However, if sharing the dashboard with users by entering their email address then this will bypass the internal organistation restriction and outside users would be able to view the dashboard - is this correct?

c) In what situation would you share a dashboard with an end-user (if which they can click on the dashboard which will take them into the report), over adding the same end-user to the App Workspace as a Member user?  It seems both ways would provide the same access (ultimately having access to the App Workspace report pane) or am I wrong?

d) you mention that Admin and Member users need to be Power BI Pro users but what if an App Workspace's Admin user (who has a Pro license) creates a dashboard and share that dashboard with 10 users, then these 10 users will only be able to review the dashboard, and click through to the report - so can these 10 users be Free license users, or do they have to be Pro license users as the dashboard they are viewing originally stems from an App Workspace?  My understanding is that to view shared content the user must be a Pro license user.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors