Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ajay
Employee
Employee

Announcement - Scheduled maintenance for Power BI from (11/3 – 11/5) and (11/10 – 11/12)

Hi all,

We are planning some maintenance to Power BI over this weekend (11/3 – 11/5) and next weekend (11/10 – 11/12).

What is this maintenance about? 

We are making some improvements to way Power BI calculates permissions for datasets and reports. These changes are needed for some of our upcoming features like selective publish for apps, automatically installing apps for end users and external sharing using AAD B2B. 

What is the impact of this maintenance? 

During a short period in the maintenance window (less than 60 minutes), users might get errors when they try to create or distribute content. This includes creation of dashboards/reports/workbooks/datasets/content packs/apps, sharing dashboards and installing content packs/apps. We are trying to complete this maintenance in the off-business hours of each region to minimize disruption due to these errors.

We have already notified customers about this maintenance through the O365 admin portal. We have also posted communications in the Power BI support page.

Is there any functional impact for end users? 

A few days after the update, users will be able to directly manage and control access on reports and datasets as well (Before the update users can only indirectly manage and control access to datasets and reports through dashboards). 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.
34 REPLIES 34
carbonA
Frequent Visitor

Works for me again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thx!

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI...

======================================
==> AZURE STATUS HISTORY | 06-NOV-2017
==> POWER BI WAS DOWN FOR 90 MINUTES
==> Network Infrastructure - North Central US
==> Summary of impact: Between approximately 19:34 UTC and 21:04 UTC on 06 Nov 2017
==> Customers in North Central US may have experienced degraded performance, network drops, or timeouts when accessing Azure resources hosted in this region.
==> Engineers were aware of additional impact for customers using App Service in South Central US.
==> Engineers determined that this was caused by an underlying Network Infrastructure Event in this region which remains under investigation.
==> Preliminary root cause: Engineers identified configuration change as the potential root cause.
==> Mitigation: Engineers performed a change to the service configuration to BGP and mitigate the issue.
==> Next steps: Engineers will continue to investigate to establish the full root cause in approximately 72 hours.

Hi hope that they also check South East Asia. Encountering the same issue.

Thanks a lot about the summary and the update! This is very helpful for us to report to the leadership team about what happened! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI...

==> AZURE STATUS HISTORY | 06-NOV-2017
==> Network Infrastructure - North Central US
==> Summary of impact: Between approximately 19:34 UTC and 21:04 UTC on 06 Nov 2017
==> Customers in North Central US may have experienced degraded performance, network drops, or timeouts when accessing Azure resources hosted in this region.
==> Engineers were aware of additional impact for customers using App Service in South Central US.
==> Engineers determined that this was caused by an underlying Network Infrastructure Event in this region which remains under investigation.
==> Preliminary root cause: Engineers identified configuration change as the potential root cause.
==> Mitigation: Engineers performed a change to the service configuration to BGP and mitigate the issue.
==> Next steps: Engineers will continue to investigate to establish the full root cause in approximately 72 hours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also getting the same error. Please advise when this issue is fixed. Thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Community members posted this on another thread (maybe previously on this as well) about the system outage. Search for "Power BI Embedded" and you'll notice it's down for the NORTH CENTRAL US region

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just noticed a few of my links working again...how about others?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup.  

They are working again.

carbonA
Frequent Visitor

I submitted a support ticked and recieved the following response.

"We are going under an massive outage on Power BI Service and users will not be able to login to service at this moment.

Product group is already aware of the issue and they are working on the fix.

I will let you know the latest update in next 60-120 mins. "

carbonA
Frequent Visitor

12.png

We are getting the same error and can not get to any Power BI page for the last hour. Does anyone know why this is down or when it will be back up?

Same message for our entire organization. Please fix soon! 

I'm getting an error logging into the service as well. Please fix.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm also getting the owl error message and so are all my users.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Also getting the owl error message message as of 3:54 pm EST

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lot of users in my network are also getting the Owl error. Is this the maintenance work thats still going on from the weekend?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact message I'm receiving. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Receiving error trying to log into:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/landing/signin
-OR-
https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/contentlist/reports
==> This site can’t be reached
==> app.powerbi.com took too long to respond.
==> Checking the connection
==> Checking the proxy and the firewall
==> Running Windows Network Diagnostics
==> Check your internet connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm unable to access Power BI Web service. Also data gateway is down, which means I can't access PowerApps either. 

Is this part of the scheduled maintenance?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors