Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Analyze in Excel - users don't require Pro Licence for Row Level Security to work

Hi All

I'd just like to clarify that a process I have working is correct.

I've created a Power BI report and set up some Row Level Security

I've created an Excel Report linked to PowerBI using Analyze in Excel

Another user has then opened the file and when they refresh the file the Row Level Security works, they only see the data they are meant to.  This is great.

However, that user does not have a Pro Licence so I didn't expect it to let him refresh (Given RLS is a Pro feature)

Just checking if this is "normal".  Awesome if it is.

Thanks

Wyn

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@wynhopkins,

Do you firstly share dashboard to your users and then the users use the “Analyze in Excel” feature? In Power BI, both Peer-to-peer dashboard sharing and RLS are limited to Power BI Pro. Do your users have Pro trial? If the users are Power BI free users, they are not able to view the contents in the shared dashboard.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia

I set up a Content Pack and pulled that content pack into a group which I made that user a member of.

They don't have a pro licence so they can't get into that workspace.

I then linked to the data in that workspace using Analyze in Excel

I shared the Excel file with the user and they could refresh the Excel file and the row level security was applied.

@wynhopkins,

Firstly, content pack is deprecated, which is replaced by Power BI apps.

Secondly, do you create the content pack in a app workspace or "My workspace"?

Thirdly,  you publish the content pack to a specific group that the user belongs to, right? If so, when you share the Excel file to the user, does the user use your Power BI account or his own Power BI account to connect to the dataset in Power BI Service?

Reagrds,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I thought apps were still in preview given some of the limitations that have not been implemented yet (e.g. Can't select elements to share in a workspace so have to share all or nothing?)

I set up the content pack in an app workspace, the user does have a free power bi account

@wynhopkins,

I am not able to reproduce your issue. When you share the dashboard to your users, please verify that if the free users can view the dashboard contents. And please check if the free users can import content pack to their own workspace.

By the way, do you purchase Power BI Premium in your organization?

Regards,

Hi 

Free users cannot view the dashboards in Power BI Service,

The organisation does not have Power BI Premium.

Thanks for your assistance, I'm happy that it is working the way it is.

@wynhopkins,

I test the sceanrio as yours, when I share the Excel file to free user, the RLS will not work. And the free user is not able to get content pack in his workspace or view the dashboard I share to him.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors