Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdunmall
Advocate I
Advocate I

Analyze in Excel: Initialization of the data source failed

Hi all,

Trying to get Analyze in Excel working. I tried it with a PBIX uploaded from desktop. I've installed the OLEDB package. I get the following error: Initialization of the data source failed. Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is still available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database.

Here is the data source:

Provider=MSOLAP.7;
Integrated Security=ClaimsToken;
Identity Provider=AAD;
Data Source=https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api;;
Initial Catalog=sobe_wowvirtualserver-xxxx;
Location=https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net/xmla?vs=sobe_wowvirtualserver&db=xxxx;
MDX Compatibility= 1;
MDX Missing Member Mode= Error;
Safety Options= 2;
Update Isolation Level= 2

I'm Azure AD joined.

[Edit] I am using Excel 2016. When I try to open the connection in Power Pivot, and  test the connection, I get: the test connection failed because the provider could not be initialized. If you contact Microsoft support about this error, provide the following message: Failed to connect to the server. Reason: Invalid value for key 'integrated security'.

Feels like the new OLEDB install didn't work, though it reported as installed succesfully. I see it listed in Programs and Features "Microsoft AS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 2016 RC1".

I'm running 64-bit office.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I had this exact error. I uninstalled the add on and then re installed making sure to choose 64bit. After that, it allowed me to log in and export for analysis. While I had installed the correct version, a coworker installed the incorrect version. A clean install solved the issue for both of us.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Same boat for me.

Any update about this issue?

I'm in the same situation.

I am having the same issue, any update please?

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I had this exact error. I uninstalled the add on and then re installed making sure to choose 64bit. After that, it allowed me to log in and export for analysis. While I had installed the correct version, a coworker installed the incorrect version. A clean install solved the issue for both of us.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Nice kcantor! Uninstalling and reinstalling worked. I'm almost positive I installed the right one the first time... but still - thank you. Sending you a virtual beer!

-Jeff

I'm still getting this issue, where do you select the x64 version? I dont seem to have the option?

When I click analyse in excel I get the following

Excel.GIF

I have installed (and reinstalled this) but at no point does it give me the option to chose x86 or x64. Am I missing something?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors