Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aaronlebato
Regular Visitor

Analysis Services On-premise Data Gateway - Couldn't load the model schema - not all users affected

SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services, On-premise data gateway to Power BI Service.

So I have a bunch of data sources in the Power BI Service that are pointed to SSAS cubes.  I have 1 cube in particular that seems to be always giving me problems but at the same time I'm not sure if it's just something going on with the Power BI Service / Data Gateway.  Right now, in both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer, I am not able to access this particular connection.  However, at the very same time, I have other coworkers that are having no issues accessing it.  This appears to affect different users at different times.  Yesterday it was the VP of Sales while I was accessing it just fine.  I'm also able to connect to the cube directly in Excel outside of Power BI just fine.  The cube is functioning fine but the data connection to the cube over the On-Premise gateway seems to have a mind of its own.

Usually, if I reprocess the cube it comes back up...at least for a little while.  Obviously this isn't cool.  Suggestions???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aaronlebato
Regular Visitor

Although I don't have all of the details (I wasn't the person who solved the issue), it appears this issue was related to conflicting permission levels in Power BI inside of Office 365.  Something to do with different permissions between the dashboards and the apps inside of Office 365.  Since we made the changes there, the issues seem to have stopped.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aaronlebato
Regular Visitor

Although I don't have all of the details (I wasn't the person who solved the issue), it appears this issue was related to conflicting permission levels in Power BI inside of Office 365.  Something to do with different permissions between the dashboards and the apps inside of Office 365.  Since we made the changes there, the issues seem to have stopped.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @aaronlebato

From your description it would appear to me that possibly the server where the On-Premise Data Gateway is running could be the potential bottleneck?

If you cube is fine when accessing it locally then the cube & it's associated hardware appears to be fine.

What I would suggest doing, is using the counters via Performance Monitor and view it to see not only the overall performance of the Server, but also the On-Premise Data Gateway counters. This would include things like bandwidth, CPU, Memory (which is what the On-Premise Data Gateway needs)

Here is a document explaing how to use the Counters, just scroll down to the section called "Performance"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors