Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samcogan

Analysing point in time data

I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is even possible before I spend a lot of time looking at it. I am trying to report on teh uptime of a service running in Azure, we are collecting data using log analytics and passing into PowerBI, and one of the metrics we have is load balancer health events, however we only get a record when an event occurs ( so change from 100% health to 50%, back to 100% etc.).

What I need to do is report on teh uptime of the service over a month using this data, so the interesting part is the amount of time spent in the state between events, so  x hours at 100%, x hours at 0 etc. Is there anyway that I can graph this in PowerBI with the data I have, or am I going to need to go away and take this data and calculate a continuos data set rather than point in time?

3 REPLIES 3
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

there is a DateAdd function in DAX so that you can establish the time interval between event times - and then graph that.  You posted in Service and this data modeling would really need to occur in Desktop and then publish the report to service.

it doesn't sound like you want a daily plot - but that could be established by adding a Calendar table.

www.CahabaData.com

Ok thanks, we're using the service as the data we are using is pushed there directly by a connector in Azure so it's only accessible in the service. I guess to use the desktop version I'd need to get it into a database or similar and then use that?

while I tend to think it would be best modeled in desktop - - there are others here at the community that are more advanced at doing things at the Service so I would defer to them - - hopefully one will visit this post and contribute...

desktop can connect and auto refresh to Azure with a gateway - so no 3rd db is going to be involved.... one can proto type with a manual Get Data before installing the gateway as a sanity test that the linking is capabile but since you have it already at Service then it is a high probable to be okay....

you also may download your Service report to a desktop pbix file though not sure if that offers a gain..... 

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors