Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

Additional Publish to Web Limitations using Data Set from Power BI Service

According to this site, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web Publish to Web Limitations are as follows:

However, if you create are Power BI report using a data set from the Power BI Service and you create a measure on a table, the "Publish to Web" option will not come up after publishing to the PBI Service.  Once you remove the measure(s) and re-publish, the "Publish to Web" option appears.  It is an easy fix, to add the measure to the data set and re-upload, it will not affect reports that are already using the dataset.  This is happenning through this version of PBI Desktop.  Version: 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January 2018)

7 REPLIES 7
Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

1st upload a dataset (does not require the report portion), then create a new report that uses the dataset from the PBI service, this is done by using "get data" then select Power BI Service and then select the dataset from the workspace you saved the dataset to.  Then, create a measure on the data set, say count of records (do not use the visual count of records, but create a measure resulting in a new column in the dataset).  Put this column on a visual, like the table visual.  Save and publish to app.powerbi.com.  Open on app.powerbi.com, under file, you will not see the "publish to web" option.  Update the report in the desktop by removing the measure and displaying any other data point, save and publish and the "publish to web" option will return under file.

HI @Rick4him,

I follow your steps to create table visual based on power bi service datasource.
After publish to service, 'publish to web' feature still works on that report.

9.PNG

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you check below limitation list to confirm if your original source suitable these conditions.

Publish to web from Power BI

Limitations

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:+

1. Reports using row level security.
  2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.
  3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.
  4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.
  5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-shex,

While I value your opinion, you have not reproduced the issue because you missed the step to create a meause on the service data set after publishing the dataset.  I saw there was a desktop update however that did not help the issue.  With no changes except including or not including the measure built on a service data set, the publish to web is removed when the meause exists.  

Steps to reproduce:  Publish a data set to the app.powerbi.com service, open a new report in the desktop user get data and select service and then select the dataset you published to the service, then create a measure on a column on a table (note you do not need to put the measue in a visual, the existance causes the issue), publish the new report, open report on app.powerbi.com, you will see no publish to web option under file, update the report using PBI desktop and remove the measure you created, republish and the publish to web will come back. 

In my option, I would suggest that Microsoft either fix the issue or update the limitations to include measures on service data sets.

Hi @Rick4him,

Ok, current I can reproduce this issue.
I will report this issue to power bi team and update here with their feedback.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

first post here, sorry i f I am breaking any rule.

I jumped into this thread since I find exactly the same issue discussed above.

No news from the team I suppose?

None that I have heard, only 2 so far have noticed, one would think it would be more prevelant as creating measures causes the upload to bloat and there is only a 2 hour limit to get it up there, that is a serious issue in my opinion, we are considering stopping use of the PBI service for data sets and instead use an Azure or on-premise Tabular Analysis server, not as convenient but no limitations at our model size.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Rick4him,

Can you please explain more about your scenario? I'm not so clarify for your issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors