Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access permissions for a published App ignore any permissions set at the dashboard level

I am running the Oct 2017 version of Power BI.

I have created a workspace, with several reports and dashboards. I know that some of the dashboards should only be visible to certain indiviudals or teams, so I have set up the sharing permissions accordingly at the dashboard level. This all works fine. Everyone can see everything that they should when they use the 'Shared with Me' functionality.

I've just been looking into publishing the workspace's content in an App. When I publish it, anyone who is mentioned in the App's permissions list gets to see the App as availale to them. Whe they open it, they can see all reports and dashboards irrespective of historic permissions set on them...! 

Surely this can't be correct? I'd expect the App user to be able to see the content, but dashboards and reports where they have no read permissions should surely remain restricted and inaccessible...! Am I missing something here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

What you get is expected. The app packages all the dashboards, reports and datasets in the app workspace, as long as you grant the user permission to access this app, this user will be able to view all dashboards, reports and datasets in this app workspace. 

In your scenario, if you don't want the user who shared the dashboard with to view other dashboards/reports in app workspace, please don't share the app with him/her. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is also a bit counterintuitive for me. I would like to be able to control the permissions on the individuals dashboards/reports in an app. Otherwise, I need to make a large number of apps for all the different permission-groups.

Any work on this in pipeline?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

What you get is expected. The app packages all the dashboards, reports and datasets in the app workspace, as long as you grant the user permission to access this app, this user will be able to view all dashboards, reports and datasets in this app workspace. 

In your scenario, if you don't want the user who shared the dashboard with to view other dashboards/reports in app workspace, please don't share the app with him/her. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors