Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhampson
Frequent Visitor

API requires Power Bi Ip address range to Whitelist

I searched the forums, and although I found similar topics, none of them seem to address and answer the question I am seeking.

I am working with ICIMS API. In order to connect to their API they need to whitelist the IP addresses that will connect to it. I have my company's IP whitelisted and we can happily connect to ICIMS via PowerBI desktop.

Once I have developed my Power BI report I want to publish it to a workspace on https://app.powerbi.com/

Once there I want to make my report a dashboard like I do everything else.

I commonly set my data to auto refresh once a day.

Here is my problem. Since ICIMS requires an IP address to connect to its API, what IP address or range do I give them if the request for data is coming from:  https://app.powerbi.com/ ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jhampson,

As Power BI Service is cloud-based service, its IP address could be different each time within each region. You can download Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges to monitor the dynamic IP range on time. The generated file contains the IP address ranges used in the Microsoft Azure Datacenters. An updated file is posted weekly which reflects the currently deployed ranges and any upcoming changes to the IP ranges.

Here is a similar thread for your reference, please see mihart's comment.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
technolog
Super User
Super User

@jhampson @hitenk81 @mmace1 @v-yulgu-msft 

Please share your experience if possible! How do you have everything set up now? Did everything work stably using ip-whitelist? Have you tried using domains?

hitenk81

Hello Guys, 

This is really a painful thing, we have whitelisted 4 IP Addresses in a week for app.powerbi.com to connect to Azure SQL Database in North Europe, however since one week the Auto Refresh started to fail and throwing 5 different IP Addresses further to whitelist on the SQL DB. Is there a CIDR block that we can use for app.powerbi.com or any alternative solution please ?  

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jhampson,

As Power BI Service is cloud-based service, its IP address could be different each time within each region. You can download Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges to monitor the dynamic IP range on time. The generated file contains the IP address ranges used in the Microsoft Azure Datacenters. An updated file is posted weekly which reflects the currently deployed ranges and any upcoming changes to the IP ranges.

Here is a similar thread for your reference, please see mihart's comment.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which section from the IP json file need to be whitelisted?  I am in the NorthCentral region.  Do I need the Storage IPs, AzureCloud IPs or something else?

Thanks

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Did you ever find a solution to this?  One that doesn't involve checking / updating IP addresses every week...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors