Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hargel
Helper I
Helper I

AD groups in Power BI (Office 365) groups

Hi,

Sorry for a question that I probably should find an answer to without asking. But I draw blank in trying to find a conclusive answer.

We have a solution were we will use groups to separate reports and for security. In the organization AD groups are used. AD groups will also be used to control access to some of the source systems. It would therefore work best if AD groups could be used to control access to groups in Power BI.

Is this a possibillity today? If not, will it be in the future? If not, what is the "best practice" solution in this case?

Thanks,

Martin

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@hargel 

Is this a possibillity today? No

If not, will it be in the future? Don't know

If not, what is the "best practice" solution in this case? My typical approach is to use Group workspaces to organize departments of Report Authors and use them as the central point to share reports with end users. In this manner, you can share a dashboard with an AD group with no issues, and the reports are all managed in one location.

As opposed to creating a seperate Group Workspace for a set of individuals. This also includes the problem that now the end user has to hunt around several Group Workspaces to try to find reports if they belong to several Groups. Whereas with the first approach and good naming standards, everything is in their workspace to be viewed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@hargel Yes. I don't want to be in the business of User management in Power BI.

If I want to share a dashboard to 100 users, let the access be dictated by IT and AD. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors