Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sobek
Regular Visitor

12 months running data

Newbe here. Hi.

How to visualize the data by month in Power bi desktop with 12 months running data, in chronological  order? Say starting from June 2016 through May 2017?

In Power Pivot it was easy - peasy( year and month filter and that was it) but in BI Desktop I got stuck (I have not-chronoligical order - January, February .... 2017 followed by June , July 2016)

Thanks for help

Sobek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the response - I had tried sorting by MOnth but it didn't work the way I wanted.

But you know what? Somehow I have solved my problem with using Date (bin) feature. I do not know anything about those bins, but I have to read about it.

Anyway - thanks again. It is a great forum and great help - especially for beginners

Take care

Sobek

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Sobek,

What you will need to do, is to create another column, which will have a Number associated to the Month. You can then use the Sort by Column option under Modeling tab to sort your Month Name by this column. Smiley Happy

Here is a great blog post explaining how to achieve this: Sorting by Month Names in Power BI

Regards

Thanks for the response - I had tried sorting by MOnth but it didn't work the way I wanted.

But you know what? Somehow I have solved my problem with using Date (bin) feature. I do not know anything about those bins, but I have to read about it.

Anyway - thanks again. It is a great forum and great help - especially for beginners

Take care

Sobek

Hi @Sobek,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors