Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EricPierre
Frequent Visitor

"report server" refresh data

When consuming a Power BI report on Report Server, to be able to use it as a dashboard, I would like to set an automated refresh. However, I found the information to do it for published reports, but not the report server version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Currently Report Server only supports SSAS live connections and hence there is no need for a refresh.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Grumelo
Advocate II
Advocate II

My Report is consuming data from SharePoint spaces, once shared on PBI Report Server the only way I found to refresh the data is: Edit in Power BI DeskTop / Refresh / Save.

I'm expecting a schedule refresh feature. Is it coming soon ?

Scheduled resfresh is coming in the fall release (maybe end of October 2017). Also there is going to be (compressed data) file size limit.

Hi xpherion,

Is this feature guaranteed to be added at some point? For us this is considered a pre-requiste befoore we can use report server.

Thanks for your time,

Harry.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Currently Report Server only supports SSAS live connections and hence there is no need for a refresh.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

now that the report server can talk to SQL, without the limitation of using SSAS, what is needed to use in order to refresh live reports?

i have a sql report which i created via import - unable to refresh

i have a sql report which i created via direct query - unable to show data at all

Unable to load the model
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Request IDc4fe1fc0-6aaf-18b3-468e-be25b3f0f727
TimeWed Aug 30 2017 09:24:04 GMT+1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
Version14.0.600.379

I created a Power BI desktop visual by importing data from CSV files. I was able to save it in the report server, but, while running it, it threw the following errors:

We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. The server forcibly closed the connection. To connect as the user viewing the report, your organization must have configured Kerberos constrained delegation.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Getting this same issue.  I can't seem to get the Power BI desktop (August 2017) to save a new report to the Power Bi Server (August 2017), because it says it isn't there. But it is there and the RS config is showing the proper URL.  So instead I upload the report from inside the PBIRS web page successfully, but then the data connection disappears and the report throws an error saying:

Something went wrong

Unable to load the model
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Request IDc7b8a6e3-cad4-cd46-2896-ebe47d279af4
TimeWed Aug 30 2017 11:49:49 GMT-0700 (US Mountain Standard Time)
Version14.0.600.379

Are you using August Preview version or June GA version?

Since this is an early preview, there are a few limitations to keep in mind as you try it out. Please note that we plan to support all the below scenarios when we make the GA release available in later in 2017. Some current limitations are:

• Scheduled data refresh is currently not available for reports using imported data.
  • Direct Query data connections are not currently supported.
  • Scale-out environments for Power BI Report Server are not officially supported using the preview release.
  • Reports must be smaller than 50 MB in size.

Getting this issue in the August release.  Can't connect to the data, and can't seem to find where to fix the data connections insiode the SSRS administration tools ( well I guess they are PBIRS tools now).

Hi , I am able to save the report with oracle connection , but unable to refresh the report from PBIS . Can anyone let me know , if this option is available in GA release of PBIS ? we used On Perm gateway option , while we publish the reports on cloud

the report server can now talk to SQL Server directly - not limited to SSAS

so i have report created - via direct query to SQL

what is the method of refreshing the data?  we used the enterprise gatway with the cloud version

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.