Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srilakshmi12
Frequent Visitor

how to use roles created in SSDT(tabular model ssas) in power bi report server

hi all,

I have a requirement like to create roles in SSDT 2015 (tabular model ssas).so i created and deployed to SSMS(analysis server). i created roles as BusineesAdmin: in database permissions igave fullcontrol,process databse,read everything checked. In membership tab->select users/groups-> i gave 4 users like domain\username1,domain\username. actaully these i have given byseeing a table asscsciated to rols table in my database. all this is manual.ow can i manage if any new user have same role and permissions.how will new username in membership tab enter dynamically??

Another thing is after creating and deploying roles to SSMS(analysis server) , how can i use them in power bi report server(since i'm publishing my pbix file to powerbi report server). Does powerbi report server takes roles automatically from tabularmodel or any action to be done to refelect the roles in powerbi reportserver or while publishing(PowerBI Report on SSRS -> Manage - > Security -> Browser Permissions)?

please help me in this,if anyone have an idea

1 REPLY 1
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

For your question around the AS Roles management I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do. It sound like you have a AS Role setup and you want new users that you create to be added to this role automatically, is that correct? If that's true I think the best thing you can do is create a domain security group and assign that group to your Role in AS. The only step you'll need to do is add new users to that security group and they will automatically get the permission you've assign to that role.

To your second question, Roles in AS and RS are two different things and if you create a role in one it will not be reflected in the other (i.e. If I create a browser role in RS there is no equivalent in AS). The roles that you create in AS are specifically for controlling access to the data in your model for users. Roles in RS are specific to what a user can do within the report server (i.e. View Reports, Manage Reports ...). That said if you create a report that connects to a tabular model, reporting services will impersonate the user that is running the report (your report datasource has to have 'As the user viewing the report' set in the Credentials settings for this to work) and AS will filter the data if that user has rights that are controlled by a Role in AS.

Hope this helps, let me know if this didn't answer your questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.