Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Karim_Hossam
Employee
Employee

Report server SQL Requirement

Hello,

As I understand that if I want to use the power BI report server , i should have one of these solutions:

Purchase Power BI Premium  or Have a SQL Server Enterprise Edition Software Assurance agreement.

If I will go with Power BI Premium,

1-I will need also a SQL server to host  database right ?

2- as i am not a SQL professional ,what could be the lowest cost of a SQL server  version with a analysis services (aside the 5k of node1 in Power BI Premium)?

3-is there additional cost required for Analysis services or it is included in SQL server?

4- do I need pro licenses (taking into consideration that I will use only the Report server)

Thanks in adavnce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Karim_Hossam,

I will need also a SQL server to host  database right ?

Yes. 

as i am not a SQL professional, what could be the lowest cost of a SQL server  version with a analysis services (aside the 5k of node1 in Power BI Premium)?

You can install SQL Server evaluation edition for free.

is there additional cost required for Analysis services or it is included in SQL server?

No. The Analysis Services is included after you pay for SQL Servre license.

4 do I need pro licenses (taking into consideration that I will use only the Report server)

A Power BI Pro license is required for individuals who are creating reports as they need the permission to publish reports to PBI Report Servre. But not any of the end consumers.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Karim_Hossam,

I will need also a SQL server to host  database right ?

Yes. 

as i am not a SQL professional, what could be the lowest cost of a SQL server  version with a analysis services (aside the 5k of node1 in Power BI Premium)?

You can install SQL Server evaluation edition for free.

is there additional cost required for Analysis services or it is included in SQL server?

No. The Analysis Services is included after you pay for SQL Servre license.

4 do I need pro licenses (taking into consideration that I will use only the Report server)

A Power BI Pro license is required for individuals who are creating reports as they need the permission to publish reports to PBI Report Servre. But not any of the end consumers.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yulgu-msft,

can you please clarify my concerns regarding your answers, please?

2. You can install SQL Server evaluation edition for free.

- Evaluation edition is limited to 180 days, right? Does it works with Express edition? What about the schedules that requires SQL Server Agent running? I presume that we need to have at least SQL Server Standard, right?

3. No. The Analysis Services is included after you pay for SQL Servre license.

- What about if I use only the Power BI models? In this scenario, only the power BI license is ok?

Plus: If I have SQL 2017 EE with SA licensed on Server A, can I install the Power BI Report Server on Server B (using the Server A as the database / SSAS server) without any licensing concern?

Best,

Evandro.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.