Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about PowerBI Server on-premise

Hello,

I have difficulties trying to install and set up PowerBI Server on-premise. First i want to explain what we need:

We need a solution to use PowerBI service and mobile version of reports on our own server. We have an ERP solution and we want to get data directly from MS SQL Server(the current vesrion isMicrosoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-GDR) (KB4019089) - 13.0.4206.0 (X64) ).

At the moment we are using PowerBI Desktop Evaluation version, but we are ok to buy the premium product.

Till now i have tried to install PowerBI Report Server on-premise on the same server, but I'm not aware what else should i install, in order to user the PowerBI solution (on premise). I have also tried Power BI Desktop (June 2017) but when I try to save a report on the server i get the following error:

Hello,

I have difficulties trying to install and set up PowerBI Server on-premise. First i want to explain what we need:

We need a solution to use PowerBI service and mobile version of reports on our own server. We have an ERP solution and we want to get data directly from MS SQL Server(the current version is Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-GDR) (KB4019089) - 13.0.4206.0 (X64) ).

At the moment we are using PowerBI Desktop Evaluation version, but we are ok to buy the premium product.

Till now i have tried to install PowerBI Report Server on-premise on the same server, but I'm not aware what else should i install, in order to user the PowerBI solution (on premise). I have also tried Power BI Desktop (June 2017) but when I try to save a report on the server i get the following error:

large.png

On-premises data gateway (personal mode) is also installed but there are no options there to set up a connection. Also on the web portal - nothing. Here are some print screens to show the settings.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

At the moment as I understand PowerBI Report Server can publish only when the data connection is SQL Server Analysis Service (on premise), so can't connect directly to SQL or Excel (like in Desktop Version). Do I understood correctly or there is something else. 

If there is guide how to set up PowerBI Report server, step by step it will be very useful.

I have followed this guide: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-quickstart-powerbi-report/ , as well as everythins what i found in Google, but no success.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
smelei
Frequent Visitor

I think you might have the June Version of Report Server installed - very easy to do, as the link for the June version is at the top of the page, whilst the newer August Preview one is only seen when you scroll down (this link) . When you're viewing your report server instance,  if you select the ? icon in the top right of the window and then 'About Power BI Report Server' this will tell you what version you're on. You should be able to upgrade to August without uninstalling June.

Being on the August Preview, should get you past the error message around data types you were getting (August expands on the allowed data types from June), but I think you may have to wait for the next release to get everything you require.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have updated to August version for PowerBI Server and Power BI Desktop (August 2017). Now  I can save reports directly on PowerBI Server and I can access them from the web interface.  I also have installed PowerBI gateway from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/. But i cannot see any settings for scheduler refresh. I have used a basic Excel file as an example, but neither the Refresh button inside the report, nor any settings i have tried.

Some printscreens of PowerBI web interface and PowerBI Gateway:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please note that scheduled data refresh is not available in this version. This will probably be supported in GA release Q4 2017.

Current version only supports SQL Server Analysis connections (live) and refresh data is not needed for that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. So the only method to refresh data is to run Power BI Desktop (August 2017), refresh the data and than save to report server again?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's correct.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.