Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jonhill
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report won't open in browser window

Hello all. We've just installed the PBI Report server and can't quite get it working properly. When I click on a report that I've uploaded, the report doesn't open within the browser window, IE just trys to download the file for use offline in PBI Desktop. Can anybody help? Thanks. Jon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's exactly the thing I noticed! Your screenshot looks subtly different to the normal installation with the yellow logo and the default title of "Power BI Report Server". I suspect you've either got an old version installed, or just SSRS.

I'd definately start by confirming what's been installed with your I.T. dept.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jonhill
Frequent Visitor

This is what I see.

Am I actually on the end-user web portal? I'm not sure if I'm even accessing the right part of the report server.

Hi,

Just to double check are you sure you installed Power BI Report Server and not just standard SSRS? If so what version did you install?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Hi, Thanks for the response. Our IT department has done the installation and I'm not sure what version they've installed. From the picture link in my previous post you can see that the top of the page says "SQL Server Power BI Reporting Services", but on the Microsoft site (link below) it says "Power BI Report Server". Also, on my page it has the red SSRS logo in the top left hand corner as opposed to the yellow Power BI logo.

So in short, I'm not sure whether I'm looking at the Power BI Web Portal or something else! 

Link to Microsoft site

As for Internet Explorer - I'm running IE11.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jon

That's exactly the thing I noticed! Your screenshot looks subtly different to the normal installation with the yellow logo and the default title of "Power BI Report Server". I suspect you've either got an old version installed, or just SSRS.

I'd definately start by confirming what's been installed with your I.T. dept.

Thanks. Yes, I'll confirm it with our IT.

Cheers

Jon

My IT department have now fixed this and I can access the PBI report server correctly. Thanks for your help.

Jon

Yup, looks like they'd installed SSRS 2017 instead of Power BI Report Server.

No probs, glad you got it sorted 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.