Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel online on OOS server, excel renders but is unable to change slicers.

Im am getting error, "The workbook attempts to utilize ODC File to connect to a data source.  You are not licensed to use this feature"

The excel file i am rendering in pbi report server with oos server installed on the same machine runs normally with all slicers and filters in excel desktop.  however when it has been uploaded to the pbi report server the mentioned error is displayed.  Other Excel files give me this error "External Data Refresh Failed,  An error occorred during an attempt to establish  a connection......"

All these excel files are connected to an ssas cubes.  I also have a few pbi reports rendering inside the same pbi report server and they do not have any issues regarding filters and slicers.

ExcelOnline - RefreshFailed.PNGodc file.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to set the oos farm (computer running the oos server) with admin privilage on the SSAS server.  Excel can not use .ods files.  connection to database from excel must be with a connection string.

as is detailed here:

Connecting Excel to Data with SharePoint 2016 and Office Online Server 2016

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please make sure you download and install the latest Power BI report server version here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56137

Verify you already followed this article to complish all steps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/excel-oos#limitations-and-considerations

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to set the oos farm (computer running the oos server) with admin privilage on the SSAS server.  Excel can not use .ods files.  connection to database from excel must be with a connection string.

as is detailed here:

Connecting Excel to Data with SharePoint 2016 and Office Online Server 2016

I gave the machine adminstrator rights in SSAS and I made sure there's no ODC file in the Excel workbook (the type is OLAP query), but I still get the same error. Is it a licensing issue?

Blog: sqlkover.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL must be an enterprice version or version 13 and above (2016).  

I have SQL Server 2017 Enterprise. PBI Report Server was also the lastest version.

Turns out the OOS was out-of-date; installing the latest version solved the issue.

Blog: sqlkover.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx @v-qiuyu-msft I have made sure of that. Both PBI Report server and PBI SSRS are on the same version. I followed those instruction to the letter, ran all those PowerShell scripts in admin mode.

Before there was an 2010 office pack installed on this maschine. I uninstalled it before installing the oos server. Everything else works, the server is responsive using http://server/hosting/discovery . and the Pbi live query reports are rendering normally.

The same user is logged on the machine, and it has admin privilage. both excel files and pbi reports are connected to cubes (ssas) running on an enterprice sql version on a another machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.