Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

flopi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Customdata() - support in the datasource for on-premise Power BI Reports

Hi,

could you please comment, if the customdata()-function is going to be supported for Power BI Reports on the Power BI Reportserver ?

Both paginated and mobile Reports are working great and and user credentials are properly forwerded to the SSAS instance, as it is described in the MSDN post . Since Power BI Reportserver is a superset of SSRS 2016 and its features, my expection was that the customdata() is available for Power BI Reports, too.

Best Regards,

Bobi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @flopi,

From this article, we can know that 

You cannot define roles within Power BI Desktop for Analysis Services live connections. You will need to do that within the Analysis Services model.

Also, per my understanding, the RLS only works when publishing Power BI reports to service, as we need to add members to roles on service site.

You could submit this idea at this page: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi

I just get finished an environemt using CustomData() in PBIRS August Preview, so it is supported.

In PBIRS connection string add CustomData={{USERID}} 

we are using RLS for our Pbix files that are in PowerBI Report Server. RLS needs to be in Tabular model with Live connection and its working well.

@vickyprudhviDid you let your users connectiting to SSAS with their credentials or you use a technical user ?

Hi

I just get finished an environemt using CustomData() in PBIRS August Preview, so it is supported.

@andreigarzon: Are you able to change the credentials to another user in the August Release ?

hi @flopi

we have our PowerI Desktop files in PowerBI Report Server (PBRS). These Pbix files are connected to tabular model live connection . Tabular Model has roles so In PBRS connection string tabe we check mark

Log in using these credentials, but then try to impersonate the user viewing the report

Option and RLS works perfectly fine.

I am using PBIRS with Forms Authentication. In this scenario PBIRS can connect to SSAS with a predefined user, but in the connection string you can add CustomData={{USERID}}  to get the Forms Authenticated User and pass this user to SSAS to achieve RLS.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @flopi,

Currently, in Power BI report server, as Power BI Reports only support live connections to Analysis Services (tabular or multidimensional), we can not using RLS in AS data source. The data source settings and Query Editor are both not editable in this mode, we are not able to fiter data rows via using Customdata() function in connection string.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

thanks for your feedback. 

Do I have any possibility to use RLS with Power BI Reports, since I don't want to let my user connect to SSAS with their credentials ?

Do you plan a solution in the upcomming relese ?

Regards,

Bobi

Hi @flopi,

From this article, we can know that 

You cannot define roles within Power BI Desktop for Analysis Services live connections. You will need to do that within the Analysis Services model.

Also, per my understanding, the RLS only works when publishing Power BI reports to service, as we need to add members to roles on service site.

You could submit this idea at this page: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I know this is an old post - hoping for an update or some additional comments.

Based on some articles below - it looks like dax function CustomData(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/customdata-function-dax) will retrieve the CustomData property of the connection string in SSAS on premise. 

https://www.kasperonbi.com/using-customdata-and-ssas-with-power-bi-embedded/

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/06/03/passing-user-names-to-analysis-services-wi...

SSRS passes the {{USERID}} values into the connection string on connection - does PBIRS function the same way?

If there any particular function or method found in the custom forms authentication example on github that would be crucial to the resolution of this value? Would SSRS or PowerBIRS be invoking GetUserInfo()?

Hello j_pbi_questions,

yes, it does, if you are using SSAS. Simply add Customdata() to the connection string.

BR ,

Bobi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.