Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddyBoy1968
Regular Visitor

Can we update the dataset without deleting and adding again?

We are trialling the professional version of BI which has some definite benefits over the desktop version, however I may be missing something very obvious. I've updated a document locally to include a few new fields and measures. When publishing this document to power bi I can see the new document is there as it has the new tabs that have been created, however those tabs have error messages on the graphs e.g. Fix This. Even after a refresh these messages still appear so the publishing of a report does not seem to republish the data set or whatever metadata is surrounding this.

The only way seems to be to delete the report and subsequently the data set from the web Power BI and republish from the desktop. Not great, even compounded when this document is shared in a content pack from which it is deleted when the report and data set are deleted.

Have I missed something obvious about republishing a document as having our users get the report again from the content pack after any update will prove irritating in the least?

Cheers

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes, the whole thing came back working fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ToddyBoy1968,

Do you publish Power BI reports to Power BI service? If so, currently, it is not supported to update the connection string of a dataset which has been published to service programmatically.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu 

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

After publishing the report to the Power BI cloud, I've setup a schedule refresh which executed however when browsing to the report I see the Fix This error even after clicking the Refresh Now. However, over the weekend the schedule refresh worked, I've browsed to the report and it has worked fine. I can only conclude that once the refresh has happened I need to close and re-open the browser to see the desired effect. 

Hi @ToddyBoy1968,

Was the table structure or field name changed after refreshing data source?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

yes, the whole thing came back working fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.