Venn Diagram

Frequent Visitor
8150 Views
Frequent Visitor

Venn Diagram

Venn diagrams show overlapping regions based on values within sets. The R visualization code provided in this Power BI desktop file will take a dynamic set of columns (based on the values you add in the fields pane), perform the overlap analysis, and display the diagram. This code will work with up to 5 columns.

Prerequisites (The sample .pbix files will not work without these prerequites completed)

1. Install R Engine: Power BI Desktop does not include, deploy or install the R engine. To run R scripts in Power BI Desktop, you must separately install R on your local computer. You can download and install R for free from many locations, including the Revolution Open download page, and the CRAN Repository
  2. Install the required R packages: VennDiagram
Attachment

Re: Venn Diagram

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for this wonderful R-showcase.  If you consider to convert this or one of your future R-visuals to R-powered-custom visuals, out team will be happy to assist you. 

The visibility of R-powered custom visuals is greater and it is not limited for R-users. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for the R script. 

However, for my requirement when I add a 5th column, the labels get truncated. Do you have any suggestion so as to how we can overcome that?

I've attached your file with my modifications to show you the problem I'm facing.

Thanks

Mark

Attachment

Try changing parameters of 

venn.diagram

For example margin: 

venndiagram <- venn.diagram(listdataset, filename=NULL, na="remove", fill = listcolor, margin = 0.1)
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

When I click on your link,  AttachmentVennDiagramWithR.pbix, Power bi pops up with an error message. Can't see your code. (see attached screenshot) Does this still work or am I just doing it wrong? I wrote code in r that runs beautifully (in r). When I run it inn Power Bi, it gives me the same error message as I get when I click on your link.

Any hints anyone?

Here's my code and a screenshot of a small dataset (Venn_dummy)

draw.triple.venn(area1 = nrow(subset(Venn_dummy, Felony == "Yes")), area2 = nrow(subset(Venn_dummy, Misdemeanor == "Yes")), area3 = nrow(subset(Venn_dummy, Ordinance == "Yes")),
n12 = nrow(subset(Venn_dummy, Felony == "Yes" & Misdemeanor == "Yes")), n23 = nrow(subset(Venn_dummy, Misdemeanor == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")),
n13 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")), n123 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes" & Misdemeanor == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")),
category = c("Felony Offenders", "Misdemeanor Offenders", "Ordinance Offenders"), lty = "blank", fill = brewer.pal(n = 3, name = "Dark2"))

Hi  @juniper  , I opened the attached PBIX it works fine for me. 

1) Make sure you have  updated PBI desktop 

2) Install install.packages("VennDiagram")   from your R IDE

3) If problem persisits look at the Error (See Details) 

4) You may debug the code in your R IDE from R Visual  Capture.PNG

5) If your problem persisits send me your PBIX 
boefraty at microsoft com 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Boefraty,

Thank you for your helpful message.

I got the Venn Diagram to work in Power Bi, but I can’t get the slicer to work with it. I’m supposed to do a demonstration on this next week (yikes). I’ve attached a screen shot. Can you give me any tips?

Note: my data file has person-level data (not aggregate), and includes both charge data and demographic data (i.e. race).

Also, VEnn help.PNGI don’t know what a BPIX is.

PBIX is an extension of file generated in PBI desktop . 

If you send it to me  I will have no trouble to reproduce your problem on my side. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much!

##This Venn diagram code is for use in the Power Bi demonstration. Run it from R from within Power Bi

#set working directory i.e. the folder you are working out of
setwd("H:/Eliel JBBS Sent")
#set default library path - where to look for packages, which are also called libraries
.libPaths("H:/R/win-library/3.4")

#load Venn Diagram package

library(VennDiagram)
library("RColorBrewer")
library(grid)
library(futile.logger)
#get Java so we can export to Excel
Sys.setenv(JAVA_HOME = "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_151")

library(xlsx)
library(rJava)

Venn <- read.xlsx("Venn.xlsx", sheetName = "Venn", header = TRUE, stringsAsFactors = FALSE)

draw.triple.venn(margin = 0.1, area1 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes")), area2 = nrow(subset(Venn, Misdemeanor == "Yes")), area3 = nrow(subset(Venn, Ordinance == "Yes")),
n12 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes" & Misdemeanor == "Yes")), n23 = nrow(subset(Venn, Misdemeanor == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")),
n13 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")), n123 = nrow(subset(Venn, Felony == "Yes" & Misdemeanor == "Yes" & Ordinance == "Yes")),
category = c("Felony Offenders", "Misdemeanor Offenders", "Ordinance Offenders"), lty = "blank", fill = brewer.pal(n = 3, name = "Dark2"))