Frequent Visitor

SCCM Template - Data doesn't update

Hi,

I have successfully installed SCCM Template on my environment and get data first time (at the end of installation) from SCCM DB to SCCM Template DB and from there to Power BI Destop.

But after that data doesn't refreh.

- I hit refresh button on Power BI Desktop. Nicely get data from DB. But data is from SCCM Template installation date.

- i look scheduled job history from server where solution template is installed. No errors. All phase related to sync ended successfully. 

- From task scheduler history: Task Scheduler successfully completed task "\Power BI Solution Template - SCCM" , instance "{xxx}" , action "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.EXE" with return code 0. Is this ok?

- checked DB and there is now new content from any sync scheduled task runs. only data from installation date.

DB that Power BI SCCM solution templates use is located in different server than sync. Could that be problem?

Or how i should troubleshoot this?

Frequent Visitor

Re: SCCM Template - Data doesn't update

OK, there is some issues with our SCCM. So this might be root cause.  Let's consider this as solved now.

Frequent Visitor

My data refresh stil broken. Any ideas to troubleshoot?

Frequent Visitor

Are there any errors in the log files under "C:\ProgramData\Business Platform Solution Templates\Microsoft-SCCMTemplate\Logs"?

Frequent Visitor

No single error. And plenty of lines about transfering rows. 

Should i reinstall SCCM template? Should i creat new database for new installation?

Frequent Visitor

It's probably a good idea to upgrade as the template does not auto-upgrade and we release often. Make sure you uninstall the old one first.

You don't need to create a new database, the installer will drop existing objects.

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

Now i did reinstall. First version installed on 4th of May and downloaded installation package then from Power BI site. So i might have pretty new version allready.

After fresh installation it looks like that:

Untitled.png

But when downloading and opening Power BI report it is empty. No single row on collection or computer tables...

So now it even worse Smiley Happy 

I looked from databse created for SCCM template and staging tables has data, but tables without staging on their name are empty (like pbist.sccm.collection).  For example computerupdate_staging -table has rows with laststatuschecktime today. So there is data!

Now i looked in PowerBI queries and noticed that all queries refers those not-statging tables. So Computer table refers pbist.sccm.vw_computer (have no data in SQL Server), not pbist.sccm.vw_computer_staging (have data in SQL Server).

Could this be the reason?

Frequent Visitor

If the staging tables have data, then for some reason the stored procedure which merges data into the final tables did not execute.

Let's try this:

• on the machine where you run the installer, find file dataload.ps1 (most likely is under "C:\ProgramData\Business Platform Solution Templates\Microsoft-SCCMTemplate" - we'll use this folder in the Set-Location later)
  • with notepad running with elevated permissions, edit and change this section (line 8):

$sql_uid=""
$sql_pwd=""

to

$sql_uid=""
$sql_pwd=""
Set-Location 'C:\ProgramData\Business Platform Solution Templates\Microsoft-SCCMTemplate'

Save and run the scheduled task again. The change might look redundant, but in some rare cases the task scheduler doesn't seem to set the "start in" path correctly.

If this doesn't solve the problem, send us an email at pbisolntemplates@microsoft.com and we'll schedule a call.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having a similar problem.  When I click on Refresh Data, the Last data load date on the Software tab doesn't update.  When I reinstall the template, the date does refresh.

I have not added the additional line in the powershell script as described.  Is that the confirmed solution?

Frequent Visitor

HI,

any ideas why I can not refresh the data by pressing the refresh button, and why not do it automatically ?

PowerBI report server on-premis