Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

SCCM Solution Template - Data Source issues (newbie)

Hello,

I'm new to PowerBI and have installed the SCCM Solution Template. I'm not able to refresh the data and receive an invalid credentials message. I'm deeply confused to be honest.

I ran through the Microsoft-SCCMTemplate installer which prompted for connection to my local SCCM server and which also requested an SQL target database which I've got all set up. The installer appears to have then successfully created the necessary queries and updated the tables in the SQL target database. Note I'm using Windows authentication throughout and up to this stage I have no errors/ warnings.

The last part of the installer process prompted me to download a .PBIX file which I've opened within PowerBI. At this point things go wrong. None of the tabs within the Solution Tempalate show any data. When I look at settings and Data source credentials I can see the credentials are invalid. SCCM-pbist.database.windows.net is listed as the server which is not what I had configured. I see no way of changing this to my local SCCM database or target database. The Getting Started tab on the report is even more confusing - it suggests I need to 'Edit Queries' and then navigate to Data Source settings. In local PowerBI and using the O365 version I can't find those options anywhere never mind on the top ribbon.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid - I'm just at a loss to where to start.

Help?

Phil

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: SCCM Solution Template - Data Source issues (newbie)

Hi,

Solved - rather embarressing really. I'd downloaded the PowerBI App from the Windows Store and that is different from the PowerBI Desktop. Once I'd realised that - everything suddenly became easy!

Phil

View solution in original post

All Replies
Regular Visitor

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with the template. It would be easier to explain the steps using screenshots (which I can't insert here). Could you please e-mail our alias at pbisolntemplates@microsoft.com so we could help you?

You should be able to see an Edit Queries button on the ribbon though. Just to double check though, are you opening the template in the Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop? You need to open it locally in Power BI Desktop to do the data binding to your database.

Justyna

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Solved - rather embarressing really. I'd downloaded the PowerBI App from the Windows Store and that is different from the PowerBI Desktop. Once I'd realised that - everything suddenly became easy!

Phil

Regular Visitor

Hey Phil,

Ahh that's not silly at all, I could see how that would be confusing!! Smiley Happy Glad things are working now!

Best,

Justyna