Visitor

Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Hello, 

I have recently attempted to set up the Campaign/Brand Management Template for Twitter, only to find the error above after repeatedly trying to connect to the Azure database. After a few hours of looking for a solution, I have tried the options below and still have not been able to find a viable answer:

• Added my IP to the azure firewall rule, disabled Windows Firewall
  • Added port forwarding for all protocol
  • Used Named Pipes / TCP/IP protocol with / without Encrypted connection checked
  • Increased timeout to 30s
  • Added inbound/outbound rules for port 1433
  • Attempted to use Telnet and tracert to diagnose the issue, only to have it time out and not connect, but it does find the server's IP address
  • Connected from my home, corporate, corporate-guest and public (coffee shop) networks, only to fid the same result everywhere (note that I changed the IP address every time)
  • Throughout the process, I have also checked and re-checked the severname I am contacting, ensuring it remains consistent at <server>.database.windows.net
  • Kept the admin logins consistent as well

My question is (more or less) is there some kind of a nuclear option that would give me insight into how to diagnose and solve the problem? Contemplating escalating it to a network engineer, but wanted to make sure I did my due diligence to figure it out on my own, first.

Thanks so much for any help!

-MK

Regular Visitor

Re: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Hey Michael,

Not sure if we'll be able to help as it sounds like an Azure issue but let's have a quick call just to make sure. Could you please e-mail our alias: pbisolntemplates@microsoft.com with a time that works for you and I'll set up a call? I'm free for the next few hours.

Justyna

Frequent Visitor

Re: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

What was the resolution because I'm not encountering this and deseparately need a resolution. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

What was the resolution for this? As I'm working with a AZURE database as well, encountering the same issue and cannot get pass the error.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Never mind, I figured it out.

Frequent Visitor

Do you mind sharing the solution?