Frequent Visitor

Secure "Publish to Web" Option

Greetings!

I'm really impressed with Power BI, but the sharing capabilities are really limiting if you can't use the insecure "Publish to Web" option.  I see that you're working on a way to publish dashboards to SharePoint/Office365 (first link below), do you have an ETA on that?  Will that work for reports (as "publish to web" does) as well as dashboards?  Will dashboards created with Pro features require Pro accounts to view these published views?  And will they be something that could reasonably be embedded (as an iframe) in other intranet web applications we may have?  I'm hoping to embed Power BI Pro dashboards into an existing intranet reporting web application.  This is easy with the existing Publish to Web option, but that method is too insecure for our private data.

Thanks!

Related "ideas":

Embed in sharepoint & Office 365: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6740156-embed-in-sharepoint-offic...

Private publish to web: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11714058-private-publish-to-web

Frequent Visitor

Re: Secure "Publish to Web" Option

This will be an cool functionality to safely embed reports in "SharePoint Online" and also in On-premise environment.

Power BI Team

I provided an answer on another thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-BI-Ask-Microsoft-Anything/Sharepoint-integration-timeline/m-p... Yes, it's something we're looking at and executing on Smiley Happy.
Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks!  I did see that reply, but still hoping for some more detailed answers to my other questions re: embedding in other intranet web apps, whether this will work for reports or just dashboards, whether Pro accounts will be needed to view, etc?  At this point it's still not clear to me whether the Sharepoint/Office365 approach will fully meet my needs (ie, a secure equivalent to "publish to web"), or merely be a non-ideal step in the right direction.

Power BI Team

Oh right, I totally glossed that all over, sorry. Here goes: Embed in 'intranet applications': we provide APIs so you'd need to build that. It is secure (sign-in required) so appropriate for your internal usage needs. Regular licensing restrictions apply - if you use a pro feature, then everyone consuming that content needs a pro license. There's nothing special about that from the view point of Embed. The APIs we're building out support reports and dashboards. You can use the APIs to embed reports securely already (https://github.com/Azure-Samples/power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app) For the SharePoint Online web part, we're starting with reports and are looking at dashboards for the future. We'll handle the authentication for you to ensure it's secure. Baby steps Smiley Happy.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the APIs so I'll check out that example.  However, what I was really hoping for when I said "embed" was simply the ability to pop a shared report into an iframe, with no other application integration required.  Basically exactly what you can do with "Publish to Web" urls now, but behind a login (which could be configured to authorize anyone in your organization's Office 365 network). 

Your answer re: the Pro features makes me think that the existing "Publish to Web" option (which to my knowledge lets you freely share even Pro reports with anyone) actually depends on its insecurity to prevent widespread use of it to bypass the "all users must have Pro accounts to view Pro content" requirement.  That's understandable if true (certainly your competitors get away with charging a lot more), though disappointing since that doesn't scale well if you have hundreds of users.  Any plans to offer Enterprise Pro licensing that cover the entire company with one fee (or bundling this with Office 365 or MSDN plans)?

Power BI Team

Yes, the Publish to web capability is designed for public displays of information, rather than internal/secure uses. We've actually looked at how to make internal embedding seamless without needing an application/api style integration. Would be interested to hear how you've seen this done in the past in a way that is both secure and easy. On the cost/licensing question - it's an interesting thought - would you an idea for it at https://ideas.powerbi.com? Would be interested to see how others also feel about the existing licensing scheme.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'll add that idea.

All I was really expecting for the embed feature is the ability to create a link to a report (with no extra chrome around it, just like Publish to Web) but which requires the user to login to view.  Then, I would simply put this in an iframe on one of my webpages.  The authentication would not happen through my app, but by the report itself inside the iframe (requiring the user to login within the iframe if they didn't already have an active Office365 session).  This admittedly isn't the most elegant solution, but it'd be enough for me.  It's possible what you're doing for Sharepoint/Office365 would work, if there's a way to share a link that doesn't have any UI around the report itself.

This still isn't that useful in my case without the ability to let anyone in my org view Pro reports, though.  I think the bottom line is that I've found Power BI to be useful for more than the traditional BI type use cases where reports are consumed by a relatively small group of analysts and business stakeholders.  I'd like to use Power BI to create actual content for a internal web application used by individuals throughout a large organization, but the current sharing/licensing options don't really facilitate that.

Thanks for the responses!

Frequent Visitor

So, I've started looking at this recently. The terminology is confusing though so if someone could clarify a bit for me. 

When I go to PowerBI Embeded, the license states this isn't designed for internal use, but for integration into apps sold by ISV and such. That page suggested I look at dev.powerbi.com. On the dev site, it talked about PowerBI Embeded and seems to send me back to the first location. Sort of circular, but I'm probably missing something.

I have an internal written application that has various levels of security. The data in the application is controlled and so we have to be careful who has access. We've currently given one group of those users access to their data via PowerBI.com licenses. I'd like to stick that data into our application simply to save them the step of switching to a new application - the adoption rate decreases as they have to switch locations.

I'm not sure if the api's already handle this approach for internal users. As I'm not a programmer, it isn't terribly clear.

Highlighted
Power BI Team

Here's the link to the documentation that will help you:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-overview-of-power-bi-rest-api/

The terminology is confusing primarily because 'embed' is so overloaded in general. That being said, you already found our ISV solution (Power BI Embedded). The link above points to a solution that allows you to use similar APIs to work with content in PowerBI.com, securely. You can find appropriate links at the bottom of the dev.powerbi.com website.