Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Salesforce reports ---> excel 2016

m trying to eliminate a bunch of cutting and pasting into an Excel spreadsheet.  If I could simply use "Get & Transform" in Excel 2016, it would make my day.  However, all I'm getting is:

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from      'https://csXX.salesforce.com/services/data/v29.0/sobjects/Report/describe' (400): Bad Request
Details:
    https://csXX.salesforce.com/services/data/v29.0/sobjects/Report/describe

Previously, I was able to use the PowerQuery add-in with Excel 2013 and get a report but it was clunky.  I was hoping that the now integrated PowerQuery would simply work. 

Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks, - David

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Salesforce reports ---> excel 2016

You can download reports directly form Salesforce 

In excel, Goto data Tab, click new query, from other source, choose salesforce reports as data source.

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

The answer to the question is that there were changes in the security required by Salesforce.  A bit of jiggery pokery to force the use of a different TLS level was required.  Subsequently, I've been informed that updates have eliminated this issue entirely.  In fact, I've managed to build a rather substantial series of inputs from SFDC into a spreadsheet with few problems.

This also includes using SFDC Objects directly as there is a 2000 row limit on reports coming direct from SFDC.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor

You can download reports directly form Salesforce 

In excel, Goto data Tab, click new query, from other source, choose salesforce reports as data source.

Frequent Visitor

And when I do the process, I get the error message posted in my original posting.  

- David

Frequent Visitor

And speaking of which ... can I mark this posting as UNSOLVED?

This capability keeps disappearing from the menu in Excel.  How do I get it back?

Frequent Visitor

The answer to the question is that there were changes in the security required by Salesforce.  A bit of jiggery pokery to force the use of a different TLS level was required.  Subsequently, I've been informed that updates have eliminated this issue entirely.  In fact, I've managed to build a rather substantial series of inputs from SFDC into a spreadsheet with few problems.

This also includes using SFDC Objects directly as there is a 2000 row limit on reports coming direct from SFDC.