Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Alternative to Silverlight - Power BI html5?

We use the current version of PowerView with Sharepoint but with Silverlight no longer being supported by most browsers, we’re very anxious to understand if the Power BI html5 solution will offer the same interactive Ad-Hoc reporting in-browser experience.  Also, do you have any general idea on when the html5 solution will be available?  Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Alternative to Silverlight - Power BI html5?

Great, thank you for the feedback.  What we're really wanting is the embedded sharepoint version because 1) I believe that would be covered under our current sharepoint license so no extra cost which i beleive currently Power BI browser version is $9.99/per month per user and  2) This would allow us to avoid users having to login to our existing BI tool and Power BI (unless there's some single sign on option I'm unware of).

Do you have even a rough estimate on a timeline that you can share for the sharepoint embedded version?

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi ksayer,

We released a new version of Power BI about 1.5 years ago as a service running in the cloud - this is different from the Power BI that used to run inside sharepoint.

The new version is entirely based on HTML5 and not silverlight. 

Have you tried out this version? It supports even better adhoc exploration and reporting capabilities than the silverlight version. 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but we need it on premise.

[ Edited ]

There is the option to host it inside SQL SSRS 2016.

Also, you can use on prem data sources but leverage the enterprise gateway to render the visualizations on the PowerBI service.

You can also use the PowerBI Desktop for on prem only work if desired.

A MSFT partner Pyramid Analtyics also seems to offer an on prem servce (haven't used it myself, just aware of it is all)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Great, thank you for the feedback.  What we're really wanting is the embedded sharepoint version because 1) I believe that would be covered under our current sharepoint license so no extra cost which i beleive currently Power BI browser version is $9.99/per month per user and  2) This would allow us to avoid users having to login to our existing BI tool and Power BI (unless there's some single sign on option I'm unware of).

Do you have even a rough estimate on a timeline that you can share for the sharepoint embedded version?