Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sv248
Frequent Visitor

mat

How would I work out the moving annual trend for quarterly data, given a set of conditions:
i.e.

sum 4 consecutive quarters ( date on this row and previous 3 quarters) of Value A for category A given category B given category C

divided by sum of

sum 4 consecutive quarters (  date on this row and previous 3 quarters) of Value B for category A given category B given category C

In excel I normally do a VLOOKUP for the quarters and create an 'index' number. Then use sumifs so that I have my categories and index with their conditions then sum for index, index-1, index-2 and index -3

i.e. sum(sumifs( testscores, year group, name of year group, class, class name, index, current date), sumifs( testscores, year group, name of year group, class, class name, index, current date-1), sumifs( testscores, year group, name of year group, class, class name, index, current date-2), sumifs( testscores, year group, name of year group, class, class name, index, current date-3)

(and divide by a different value with same conditions if need be)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@sv248

In this scenario, I suggest you use a full calendar table to limit the Previous 3 Quarter context filter. I assume you those Category A, B, C columns and Value A, B columns are in same table. Then you can create a measure like below:

[3 Quarter Moving Sum Value A] =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table[ValueA] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( Calendar[Date], LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] ), -3, QUARTER ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Table ),
        Table[Category A] = "Category A"
            && Table[Category B] = "Category B"
            && Table[Category C] = "Category C"
    )
)

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@sv248

In this scenario, I suggest you use a full calendar table to limit the Previous 3 Quarter context filter. I assume you those Category A, B, C columns and Value A, B columns are in same table. Then you can create a measure like below:

[3 Quarter Moving Sum Value A] =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table[ValueA] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( Calendar[Date], LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] ), -3, QUARTER ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Table ),
        Table[Category A] = "Category A"
            && Table[Category B] = "Category B"
            && Table[Category C] = "Category C"
    )
)

Regards,

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi Mat

The pattern you should consider is the Moving Average pattern from the link below.  I use it regularly and it works a treat.  Make sure you have a Date table and adjust the table/column names to suit. 

http://www.daxpatterns.com/statistical-patterns/

Cheers,

Phil

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors