Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Carmichael01
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI on the iPhone - Will geo location work if report is using data from SSAS live connection?

We use a country dimension Coming from an SSASTabular 'live connection'. When viewing the report on the iPhone app, the geo filter is always greyed out.

Is this because of the live connection?

Link to support document on setting geo filtering. This only shows it can be done in PBI itself. No reference to SSAS. Should SSAS data work?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-mobile-geofiltering/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Carmichael01

I reproduced same issue as yours. If we create a map with SSAS live connection, the geo filter buttion is always disabled when we access via Power BI Mobile App even it contains the data for my current location (I tested with VPN changing different location nodes). We have reported this issue internally.

Regards,

Simon Hou

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Carmichael01

I reproduced same issue as yours. If we create a map with SSAS live connection, the geo filter buttion is always disabled when we access via Power BI Mobile App even it contains the data for my current location (I tested with VPN changing different location nodes). We have reported this issue internally.

Regards,

Simon Hou

Thanks Simon - do I need to provide any further info or is your reproduction sufficient for a fix? If resolved will it be updated here?

Hi,

have you marked the relevant column in Power BI Desktop as "Country", "State" or "City".

If you haven't done that the geographical filter will not work.

Creating a map tile is not sufficient to enable the geographical filter on the report.

If this still doesn't work for you, please contact us on mpbisup@microsoft.com with more details.

Thanks,

Gabi

Hi Gabi - the location fields are set as geography type in SSAS Tabular. Given we have a live connection back to our model it isn't possible to manage via Power BI; the setting must be made in SSAS it's self.

Simon has advised that issue can be reproduced and has been raised internally thus I am assuming it's now logged with the PBI team.

Thanks

Hi,

We will log this issue to examine during our planning process.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gabi

gabil
Employee
Employee

Hi,

If you mark the country column with the "Country" Data Category (in Power BI desktop) and you have relevant data to the users location, the geo location capability should be available also for SSAS live connections.

See more details here - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-mobile-geofiltering/

Please contact us if this doesn't work for you.

mpbisup@microsoft.com

Thanks,

Gabi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors