Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wolf359

Power BI DOESN'T automatically detect optimized phone reports

Anyone else having trouble with the preview auto-detecting the phone layout?  I can only see the original layout, in both portrait and landscape.  Not seeing the special phone layout.  Can see it in PBI Desktop, but not on my Windows 8 phone after publishing.

Also first time I opened it in Edge, Edge crashed.  Is this preview just too buggy to work correctly outside of the lab?

13 REPLIES 13
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wolf359,

>>Not seeing the special phone layout

What do you mean the special phone layout ? Can you share some detail content for this issue?
If it means the autofit feature, I test on windows phone 10 without any issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin - please check out this link, it will fill you in on this feature's expected behavior:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-create-phone-report/

Thanks.

Hi @Wolf359,

Thank you for reaching out.

Did you manage to publish the report to Power BI service?

Can you provide more details on the device below:

Type of mobile device type:

OS version:  

App build version (can be found under Settings>About from Power BI app):

Steps to re-create the issue you reported:

Any additional screenshots would be highly appreciated

Thank you for your help,

Power BI for Mobile Team

Hi RomiK

Device is a Microsoft Lumia 735 running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2

PowerBI Verison is the March release containing the Phone View preview:  Version: 2.44.4675.521 64-bit (March 2017)

There is no issue with publishing the report to the PowerBI service.  The issue is that the PowerBI service is failing to detect and render the Phone View of the report.

Steps to recreate are quite simple.

(1) open existing report in PowerBI Desktop.

(2) Click the menu option titled Phone Layout (in the View menu)

(3) Drag and drop existing report elements to create the Phone Layout.

(4) Save the modifed Report in PowerBI Desktop

(5) Publish the modified report to the PowerBI Service

(6) Access the report using my Windows Phone

(7) PowerBI Service fails to detect the new Phone Layout and renders the existing report using the original layout.

Thanks!

Hi @Wolf359,

Just making sure before we esclate this to engineering - are you using the latest power BI desktop version?

Can you please confirm you have downloaded and using the latest version?

Thanks!

Roy Gal

Hi Roy - 

I'm running the March release containing the Phone View preview:  Version: 2.44.4675.521 64-bit (March 2017).

Thanks!

Ron

Ok, Understood.

I have escalated this issue with our technical team.

Thanks,

Roy Gal

Hi Ron,

I have sent you a private massage to continue work on this.

Thanks,

Roy

Roy Gal

I am having the same problem.  Can you please post the fix / how can this be resolved?

Hi,

Please send mpbisup@microsoft.com the OS version, app version and screenshots of the report in the desktop and the report in phone portrait mode.

Thanks,

Gabi

Cassis
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting the same results as OP... I've created a desktop report, optimized it to mobile phones adjusting the layout in phone preview mode and published it online. When I open it on my phone, Power BI just show me the desktop report, no matter what.

Is this fixed already? What should I do?

Cassis
Frequent Visitor

I'm using Samsung S7 Edge and tried it with the Samsung Internet navigator and also Chrome.

Asked a friend to open it on iPhone X and got the same results in Safari.

Hey Cassis,

Phone layout is used in Power BI Mobile app, not from a mobile browser.

So, to enjoy that layout you need to get Power BI Mobile app from the app store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.powerbim&hl=en_US, )https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-power-bi/id929738808?mt=8). 

After you install the app, connect to the service with your credentials, and then you will get access to all Power BI content you have in the service.

When you open a report page that has phone layout in the app, it will use the phone layout, when you hold your phone in portrait.

Maya

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors