Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rmeijvogel
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to report using Power BI services in iOs app

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange error when sharing dashboards / reports. We have built 1 centralized dataset. On this dataset we have 3 different reports. One is built in the same file the dataset was created. The other two are created by utilizing the power bi services to connect to an exististing dataset. All these reports have a dashboard created to summarize some info. Now we shared the dashboard thinking the user would have access to the underlying report.

The dashboards were shared from the workspace to another use who doesn't have access to our workspace. He can open all the dashboards, but when he wants to navigate to the underlying report the problem occurs. In the case where the Power BI services were used the "navigate to report" button doesn't work at all. It is clickable but nothing is happening. For the one that was built in the same file as the dataset this functionality works fine.

What can we do to make navigating to report work as intended when utilizing the Power BI services?

Regards,
R Meijvogel

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rmeijvogel,

>>The dashboards were shared from the workspace to another use who doesn't have access to our workspace. 

According to your description, it seems like you share the dashboard to external user who doesn't have access permission, right?

If this is a case, current external users can't access the original report, they can only access the shared dashboard.

In addition, if you share to domain users, they can access the original report.

>> For the one that was built in the same file as the dataset this functionality works fine.

I'm not so sure for your description, can you provide more detailed information?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for the help regarding our challenge. The dashboad is shared with domain users, even with workspace admins. Both of these don't help in solving the problem where the Power BI app on iOS is restricting the user from navigating to the dashboard when the underlying report was created using Power BI services.

A report created built on a dataset works fine. Let's assume this example:

- Dataset Y is built with Report Y and on top Dashboard Y

- Report X is built using Power BI services to connect to Dataset Y. On top we create Dashboard X

If Dashboard Y is shared with Domain User A everything works fine.

If Dashboard X is shared with Domain User A he can't connect to the underlying report.

Hope this clarifies something.

Hi @rmeijvogel,

Based on your description, you means that users can't access to the underlying report who created on power bi service, right?

I try to create new reports on power bi server and test on power bi mobile(ios), but it seems works for me.

Which type of dataset you used? Connection mode? Please share us some detailed information.

Regards.

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-shex-msft,

I think there's some confusion regarding the term Power BI service. When I refer to this term I actually mean the Power BI service Live Connection mode that has been added in the recent past. This connection type is fairly new and seems unsupported in the iOS app.

If you reread my example:

- Dataset Y is built with Report Y and on top Dashboard Y

- Report X is built using Power BI services Live Connection to connect to Dataset Y. On top we create Dashboard X

All of this is done via the Power BI desktop editor and uploaded to a workspace.

If Dashboard Y is shared with Domain User A everything works fine.

If Dashboard X is shared with Domain User A he can't connect to the underlying report.

Regards,

rmeijvogel

Hi @rmeijvogel,

>>- Dataset Y is built with Report Y and on top Dashboard Y- Report X is built using Power BI services Live Connection to connect to Dataset Y. On top we create Dashboard X

I test with these scenarios but still can't reproduce this issue.  So I'd like to recommend you to report this issue to power bi mobile team to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue, please respond.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors