Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jaidee
Helper II
Helper II

Auto refresh reports? Can only do it manually. How in iPhone app?

I have 2 reports in app.powerbi.com. Datasets for both of them are updated automatic 8 times a day. But when datasets are refreshed the reports are not updated. I have to go to the report and click refresh. It is the same when I update the datasets manualy.

Maybe this is how it should work? 

What to do in the iPhone app, when no possibility to refresh reports? Then I have to go to the website and do it.

Off course I can make dashboards that updates every 15 minutres, but why not reports?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing is happening for me. It's not even refreshing after 15 minutes. Mine goes hours or the whole day without refreshing if I don't manually kick it off. 

I'm using Chrome to veiw on a shared workstation that should update automatically. Am I missing something? I can live with the 15 minute lag for now...but i can't even get that to work. Anyone? 

Hi,

I would like to try to assist here. Do you see the report updated if you close the app?

All the best,

Yitzhak

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I have tried shutting down the app, rebooting the phone and even uninstalling the app and reinstalling it and the dashboards continue to cache the data. As soon as I select Refresh dashboard tiles within the browser, instantly the mobile app dashboard updates as well.

Like the others have said, this is causing lots of problems for our users.

thanks

Ben

I don't have a solution but wanted to add myself to the list of people who experience this problem. If there is a solution please let us know. The mobile offering would be far better if the reports and dashboards were always in sync.

I've been told my Microsoft that the sync between the browser and mobile will be fixed in the new month or so.

Hi benoastler - I was told similar too. Lets hope so - I think it will be very impressive to be able to get accurate data synced across to the phone.

Hi,

In order to help here I need better understand the issue.

Are you speaking about reports?

Are you speaking about dashboards?

All the best,

Yitzhak

Hi @yitzhak

Thanks for your willingness to help.

In order to show you the issue, I will describe my case:

- There is a Power BI report, its dataset is from an on-premise  SSAS (tabular) with live connection (direct query) to the PowerBI report;

- The SSAS (tabular) is refreshed on every 30 minutes. Because there is a live connection to the report, we expect to see data that are old maximum 30 minutes.

What the actual situation is:

A) Browser

• tiles - according to the documentation they have to be automatically refreshed every 15 minutes. The reality - they are not. I have tried to find a patern how often they are refreshed and didn't manage. The users are forced/advised to always press "Refresh dashboard tiles" before starting to analyze data (which is not acceptable for them)
  • reports - same as above. The users are advised to press the  "Refresh" button  before starting to analyze data (which is not acceptable for them)
  • another issue - when one refreshes the tiles and after that clicks on a tile, the report is opened. Sometimes the report displays old data so the user needs to press "Refresh" here as well. To me it is difficult to explain such a functionaality to the end users;

B) Apps

• tiles - do not know the time frame for their refresh. According to me it is 2 hrs and more. There is no functionality to force the refresh of the dashoard manually
  • tiles - there are cases when some of the tiles contain fresh data, other tiles from the same report (no special filters applied) - not. Thus the information shown to the user is inconsistent;
  • reports - no option for manual refresh of the information.

Hope the above to be enough for figuring out the problem.

Thanks

Tsanka

PS: As I have been notified the community is not the place for registering bugs, on Jun 23th I have registered a support case #116062391572183 regarding that issue. Till now I haven't received any response from the support team.

Hey,

You can refresh your mobile dashboard, by select Refresh Dashboard Tiles in the browser. Now, obviously this isn't much of a solution or a workaround. But I have spoken Microsoft and they are working on an update to the app so it actually refreshes data more regularly, and that could be out in the next week or so.

I also noticed there was an update to the browser service today as well, so it might be worth seeing if it refreshes more regularly.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jaidee

Once your dataset is refreshed reports / tiles visual cache will be automatically updated from the dataset. As per documentation this happens every 15 minutes. Therefore I would suggest you wait for 15 minutes and check that again.

Hi @ankitpatira

Thanks, I now see that reports on app.powerbi.com actualy is refreshing. 

But on the mobile they are not updated more than an hour after.

The Windows app has the same problem - the tiles are auto-refreshed but when one opens the report, the report data are not refreshed and the users do not have the "Refresh" button as in the browser.

The issue is very big for me - this morning I had to find an explanation why the tile displays revenue of 100 units and when you go into details (i.e. when you open the related report), the revenue is 90 units...

I am not even sure whether the cache would be cleared in an hour.

Any idea how to solve the issue or a workaround would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Tsanka

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors