Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

visual has exceeded available resources

Hi all,

• I have a report with a direct connection to a cube and one visualization using a matrix.

• The data source size is not large (< 45mb on Analysis Server).

• The response of the system is very slow when you add dimensions and measures.

• The cube has no issue since the same report is working extremely fast with other products (used excel & a competitive product to compare performance)

• Using other available visualizations from PowerBI the results are also fast.

• The problem is with the matrix (and table) visualization. When I add 4-5 dimensions and 3-4 measures the system drains CPU and RAM of analysis server to its limits.

• I tried the same to an azure environment using 128GB RAM and 8 cores and I had also same result (out of memory exception) which I believe is unacceptable for such a small dataset. 

• There is no difference with PBI client or online service in the behavior.

Is there a limit to the number of rows a matrix can display? I cannot find any documentation on that.

Any other ideas?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dionisis

I've reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 34257892
I'll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Dionisis
Regular Visitor

Thank you Herbert. Looking forward for the response.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dionisis

We need to get/confirm the following information from you.

• Are you getting this error when running from PBI Desktop or in PBI Service?
  • What type of AS model it is? Tabular or Multi-Dimensional?
  • What version of AS are you using? This will determine if the generated DAX query was SuperDAX or RegularDAX.
  • What was the exact issue you encountered. (Timeout?, Out Of Memory? Etc). For this we would also need to get some RequestID information.
  • If the issue reproes PBI Service but doesn't on PBI Desktop, it could be a gateway issue.
  • Finally, if it turns out, that a particular DAX query is consistently (both PBI Desktop & PBI Service) is running into some memory constraints, you may need to engage SQL support.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Dionisis
Regular Visitor

Hi all

Client

Running from PBI Desktop (latest client downloaded) with live connection to Analysis Services

.pbix file 13KB

AS Version: SQL Server 2016  SP1 13.0.4001.0

Server Mode: Multidimensional

.abf file estimated 46.39 MB

Test 1: ran a page with 7 dimensions and 6 measures. The system used all available memory (56GB) when the user asked to see the results for a Quarter 4.

Test 2: ran a page with 4 dimensions and 2 measures. The system used all available memory (56GB) when the user asked to see the results for a Quarter.

Attached you will find the relative error message received (same error in both tests conducted)

PowerBIErrorMessage.png

By the way, I have tested the same report with the new matrix (preview) visualization and it works smoothly.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dionisis

Can you please attach a profiler to your AS database and capture the DAX queries that PBI Desktop sent to the AS?

We can look at the query and try to speculate what may be causing the OOM for these DAX queries.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dionisis

Do you have any update about it?

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dionisis

If issue persists, please provide the necessary info to us.

Best Regards,
Herbert