Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sharepoint list connection changing column names

This morning I set up a data connection to a sharepoint list and when I look at the data table, I can see that several of my columns have been renamed:

16/17 Delivery Status now appears to be called DeliveryStatusInDelivery

17/18 Delilvery Status is now DeliveryStatusInPlanning

18/19 Delivery Status is now DeliveryStatusPipeline

I also have a new column called ID.1 which is a replica of the ID column ...  I didn't create it.

I tried to do the same thing in Excel and get the same behaviour - whereas I have made data connections previously (couple of months ago) and the column names were not changed then.

any idea why this is happening?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jhartley

I can repro the ID.1 issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 33914857

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

For the first column renamed issue, I cannot repro the same issue as you. Can you find “Table.RenameColumns” in Query Editor – Advanced Editor for the table which has this issue?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

jhartley

@v-haibl-msft

The only renamed column I can find is ID

let

Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://<site>.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa", [ApiVersion = 15]),

#"c5f97962-bf36-49fc-af7a-e2d4c827cd7b" = Source{[Id="c5f97962-bf36-49fc-af7a-e2d4c827cd7b"]}[Items],

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"c5f97962-bf36-49fc-af7a-e2d4c827cd7b",{{"ID", "ID.1"}})

})

in

#"Renamed Columns"

However, those other fields are definitely different named when viewed through the query editor.

For example, I have a field in Sharepoint called 16/17 Delivery Status which has 44 records at the status '01. In Delivery'.

However, I can find no column of that name when I get data via the query editor - what I have instead is a column called DeliveryStatusInDelivery, which when I filter on '01. In Delivery' returns 44 rows.  So they must be one and the same thing!  (I have several where this has happened.)

Now I know what I'm looking for its manageable, but it seems very strange ...

Best.

Julie

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jhartley

I've got response from the Product Team for the first issue, it is by design, and is because SharePoint returns an "ID" field and an "Id" field and the data model has case-insensitive names -- so one of them needs to be renamed in order to be loaded.

For the second issue, could you please provide repro screenshot and a fiddler trace to us? You can start the trace before get data, and share the saved .saz file to us through online file service like OneDrive.

Best Regards,
Herbert

rajeevsingh
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. In SharePoint, column name is different and Power BI has different name. For example if the column name is 'Wet' in SharePoint then it is appearing as 'hnfg' column name in Power BI.

shwet
Frequent Visitor

I am also facing the same issue, Please let me know if you got any solution. Thanks!