Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"Unhandled exception" error when trying to access Relationships view

When I try to access the Relationships view of any dataset, I get this error message:

"Unhandled exception has occured in a component in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Interop.OSVersionHelper' threw an exception."

After clicking continue or after just closing out of the error window, there are no further errors, but the Relationship view shows up as a blank page, showing none of the tables that I have imported. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PowerBI and restarting my whole computer, but it did not help.  Suggestions for fixing this are most welcome!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @amichaelis,

Do you install the Power BI desktop from Microsoft Store or from Download site? Which version do you run? Please try to update to the latest desktop version to test again. 

Check if the issue happen to all reports when you go to Relationships view. 

Please enable desktop trace log, repeat steps to reproduce the issue, share trace log file around the time error occurs with us. You can upload log files to your OneDrive and send the link in private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

amichaelis

Thanks, @v-qiuyu-MSFT.   I downloaded the newest version of Power BI desktop yesterday (Version: 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November, 2017) from the Download site.  Even after uninstalling and re-installing thi version, I get this same error.  I'll send a private message with the trace log as soon as possible.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @amichaelis,

From the trace log, I find the error message: 

Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.ValueException, Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage: [DataSource.Error] Could not find a part of the path 'C:\\**\\**\\**\\bi_dimensions.xlsx'.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.FileStreamBinaryValue.Open(FileMode fileMode, FileAccess fileAccess)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Excel.SeekableBinaryValue.Open()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Excel.ExcelReaderOpenXml.ReadTablesUnguarded()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Excel.ExcelReaderOpenXml.ReadTables()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Excel.ExcelModule.WorkbookFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(BinaryValue workbook, Value useHeaders, Value delayTypes)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue3`4.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1, Value arg2)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugInstruction.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationInstruction2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)\r\n 

Does this path C:\\**\\**\\**\\bi_dimensions.xlsx exist and are you able to access this file? Do you get data from this path in Power BI desktop? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

amichaelis

@v-qiuyu-msft, thanks for your help.  I don't know why the path looks like that.  The real location of the bi_dimensions file is as follows:C:\Users\amichaelis\OneDrive - Partners in Health\Annie PowerBI\DIAD\Data\USSales

I imported my data (including this dimensions file) following the exact instructions from the dashboard in a day training (no one else had this problem and the instructors said they had never seen an error like this before), and I got to the file simply by browsing to the folder noted above using the Power BI desktop interface, so I'm not sure why Power BI itself is reporting this other path that doesn't exist.  What should I try next?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @amichaelis,

Please create a new report from this same data source, check if the same issue occurs. 

It seems you get data from the onedrive local, please view onedrive online and find the exact path of this Excel file, then follow below links to get data in desktop depends on you use onedrive personal or onedrive for business. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/PowerBI-support-for-OneDrive-Personal-a...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

amichaelis

It does work when I start from scratch with a new report from this data source--thanks!  However, can you provide any ideas why this error happened in the first place so taht I can prevent it from happening in the future?  It's definitely frustrating to have to start over from scratch.  Thanks!