Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dataset refresh evaluation ran out of memory

I'm trying to refresh a dataset in the service and after over an hour it fails. The datset and model aren't that big (3.9MB). I get the following error in the service. The report pulls from a SQL Database in the North Europe region as well as a BLOB storage in North Europe as well. I can refresh the dataset in less than a minute in desktop.

The report itself I've done everything I can to streamline the model including selecting do not load for tables referenced/merged as well as converted all calculated columns to columns added in Power Query instead, and still same issue. What's going on?

Data source error:Evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue.;Evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue. Evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue. Evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue. Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: <redacted>.
Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:424cb30a-f8ca-7a44-8c37-6b3f837087a4
Request ID:928bf0b3-3b47-68f3-1ec8-ffd513a9c4f6
Time:2017-11-22 14:25:42Z
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sqlchicken,

1. Does this issue happen one time or frequently? 

2. Please open the issued report in Power BI desktop, check if one table named redacted, if it does, please delete this table, republish to service refresh again to see if the issue occurs again. Please back up pbix file before you do this action. 

3. When you refresh the dataset in Power BI service, make sure the machine hosts the gateway are free, not have lots of program run at that time. 

4. Please update the gateway to the latest version. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

sqlchicken
Employee

1. Yes, frequently. Cannot get dataset to refresh in the service. Speaking with Kasper it seems there's an engineering issue at play here.

2. I can't delete that table as that table is the single table that makes up the whole report/model. That table is comprised of a table from SQL DB combined with columns from metadata from BLOB storage (e.g. URL location for stored images). 

3. There are no gateways, this is all up in cloud. Azure SQL DB and Azure BLOB storage.

4. See #3 response

5. As I was typing responses to your query it looks like I was able to find solution. It turns out I had not trimmed down the columns being pulled from blob storage. My original merge was causing huge memory pull due to trying to pull over the binary data (images) when I didn't need them. In Power Query I got rid of all but 3 columns. Once I made this tweak and redeployed to service, the dataset refreshes in less than a minute. Thank you for your help, you can consider this issue closed.