Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

What If Parameter Input Changes Automatically After User Hits "Enter"

I built a calculator in Power BI Desktop that has a dozen or so What If parameters. The following table and measure was automatically created using the What If dialog box.

Parameter A = GENERATESERIES(0, 10000, 1)
Parameter A Value = SELECTEDVALUE('Parameter A'[Parameter A], 1000)

The issue I am having is that when a user updates the value in the filter's numeric input box and hits "enter," the value changes. For example, the user types 5,000 in the box, hits "enter," and then the value changes to 4,995. Entering 10,000 changes to 9,990. This happens with percentages as well. Entering 0.11 gets changed to 0.10999999999999999. Is there a way to turn off any kind of sampling that may be occuring in the background?

Comments
shishir999
Helper II
I am also facing similar kind of issues. When I Select any value, the rest of the value start showing only 99 onward, where I need to CLEAR Selection every time. This also required to do twice or thrice sometime.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 57162870, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

This is a known limitation with parameters with very large ranges. We have an item to fix this on our backlog but no ETA at the moment.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this same problem and it is December 2018.  Is there an ETA now?  I am using the Parameter to allow a user to type in a number between -20,000 and 20,000 increments of 1.  I type in 1359 and it returns 1339.  Similar to the posts above.  Thanks, in advance, for the solution.

I think it must be a function of how many rows are generated in the table.  I tried going from -20 to 20 with an increment of 0.001 and get the same results.  Type in 1.359 and I get 1.339

shishir999
Helper II

The issue is there, with big numbers, but with small chunks, works fine...

SG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@power BI team, while you are fixing up this thread's issue, you might consider adding in justification (e.g. left/center/right) formatting.  Everything is left justified and when placing this object within other numbers (say, on cards) it is hard to line the Parameter with the other elements on the report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has this been resolved? It still seems to be a problem with decimals. I set increment at "0.01" and entered "12.33" and it showed me "12.289999999999782". What a bizzare behaviour. It seems to work with small numbers and no fraction only, which is very limited.

shishir999
Helper II

The issue is a random behaviour and still exist.

SG

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still a thing 1,5 years later unfortunately 😞

Would love to see a fix!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has there been an ETA defined? This is core, out-of-the-box functionality for Tableau....