Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Web Data Refresh Error

Hello Power BI community,

I recently created a desktop file and with "Web" as the only data source. Everything was working great. After a week, the refresh failed. It appears Power BI thinks I am trying to use an on premise data source and as far as I know the "Web" feed can be refreshed without a gateway. (Like I said, it was working wonderfully for a week.) Could anyone offer some suggestions? I have tried renaming, republishing, deleteing... I have made a new .pbix and published it from scratch with the same result. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Ryan.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm experiencing the same issue. 

matmoore
Frequent Visitor

Check out this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Updates-to-the-Web-connector/m-p/91653#U91653

Microsoft dropped support for scheduled refresh of web data sources in November, and have said they are working on "improvements" but in the meantime the only workaround is to install a personal gateway on your computer. You can then select the personal gateway in POwer BI Online under the dataset settings.

Its a crap solution, as you need to have your computer running during the scheduled refresh. It defeats the whole purpose of using Power BI online...