Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

URGENT!!: Map Visualization Not Working

Both (Map and Filled Map) visuals are no longer rendering online.

Both render OK on Power BI desktop but are blank online, showing only the MAP background.  The data is not mapped.

Please advise as this is a critical capability.

Comments
GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting same issue. Just noticed it today. Standard Map visual was working perfectly for months and just stopped rendering correctly without any change in the report. Does anyone actually test updates before they are pushed? While we are at it, has anyone associated with this development team heard of backward compatibility?

Mattr_TEM
Frequent Visitor

We are having the same issue with the map visualization.  Fine on desktop, web not so much...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@amwithi@Mattr_TEM@GreyWolf27 I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Both map and filled map display fine on Power BI service.

z1.PNG

Please download my test .pbix and publish to your service to see if it works.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

eisz
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue here.

@v-qiuyu-msftYour test .pbix is working fine for me, downloaded and published it and the maps did indeed work.

But our map visual isn't working online. In Power BI Desktop it is working just fine.

Also deleting the map visual, recreating and then uploading it did not work. It is still blank online.

The map visual is a very critical point of our analysis. Please take a look into this.

jgni
Frequent Visitor
And same here. Works fine in the desktop. No visualisation online....
GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact issue. Something must have changed recently on the Power BI Service and wasn't tested sufficiently.

amwithi
Regular Visitor

This is to provide further information to the mapping issue.  There is an issue.  Replicating the issue in a new report is not straight forward and might not reveal an issue.  This issue is mostly afffecting existing maps.  This is because in the past, we wre forced to modify location data for Power BI to better parse the locale.  In the past, for example, I had to append both State and Country to a County data point for the map to render correctly.  When we settled on wht worked, all our configurations were made that way.  As fo sometime last week, those same maps stopped rendering all together (ONLY in Power BI Service, not on desktop).  Upon further investigating the problem, I found that the map works fine online if I remove the "USA" reference. So the problem seems to be with how the data point is being parsed.  Something obviously changed on the service as the issue is being observed by others as well.  In addition, my map is configured with a hierarchy of County and then Zip Code.  To make matters worse, zipcode data seems not to parse at all.    Seems to pick up only one data point.  This means I cannot 'Drill-down' from County level to Zip code level.

This is an EXTREMELY URGENT matter.  Replicating the issue is not straight-forward but the issue definitely exists.  

FYI: This is the second issue I have reported on mapping in less than one month.  The first issue was with right-clight reseting the map selection.  I have yet to see the fix for that though I was told it is in testing and will be in production soon.

GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

I double-checked as well and the extremely basic mapping to a country seems to work ok. However, we are using a City, State combination to map our locations. This has worked successfully since November 2016 and still renders correctly in Power BI Desktop. However, none of the locations are now being mapped in the Power BI Service. Something must have changed in how the Service maps locations over the last 10 days. Someone needs to check the Change Log and correct ASAP. This is critical to our project.

GreyWolf27
Frequent Visitor

FYI. Found a fix for my instance of the issue with the map visual. There definitely was a change in how the Power BI Service interprets locations. Went back and put in latitude and longitude for each city and they all now magically appear on the map. That still doesn’t change the fact that something was changed in production, which affected several users of the product, and no one associated with the development team knew why. Microsoft needs to take this product more seriously and stop leaving it to those without the discipline and foresight to plan changes correctly and test thoroughly before an update is released.