Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document

Dear Microsoft,

This is really frustrating and to be honost this is not the first time it happens to me i have a very critical and important work that i need to finish and i can't understand why this issue is happening to me, it seems that the compatibility of the data types between excel and PBI is not coreectly done.

My issue is that i keep getting this message:

The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document

Whenever i try to get the data from my excel datasheet with one column of type short date, i have tried deferent date formats and i'm still getting the same error message, i remember this was never an issue before and i could've use the same file as data source without a problem before this new year update.

Please let me know how i can solve this issue, as i'm running in very tight deadline and i have to finish a donor report.

PS: I looked at this issue and it doesn't solve anything : Click Here

Comments
SteveNovoselacT

I am getting this same issue. It worked a couple weeks ago.

I updated PBI desktop today to latest still didnt fix. 

I have tried to pull in data via Excel using Get Data there and it works fine, but my gut is telling me that PBI Desktop somehow is having issue with Excel version/driver or something

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Albihany

What is your Windows OS here? Could you please take a look at this issue which is caused by the win10 insider update. Please let me know if your issue is same as that one.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

SteveNovoselacT

Yesterday I did some testing and narrowed it down to the latest Win10 Insider Update, yes!

everything works excel pulling in data from excel sheet that has a table. excel sheet with data (not in a table) works fine. 

Albihany
Regular Visitor

Hi @Vicky_Song My OS is Windows 10 Insider Preview Build: 15007.

Well i could solve the issue copying the dataset to a new excel document but this time i haven't make any tables and i also didn't change the type or format for the columns that holds the date fields, and somehow it accepted to import the dataset and recognized the columns of date as date in PBI.

It would be great if you can investigate this issue.

Many Thanks

v-haibl-msft
Employee

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 29920719

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

dcohendumani
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue since the latest Windows 10 Insider Update. Build 15014.

This is frustrating. Beside uninstall the insider preview, any other ideas?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

Hi All,

Since the insider version is a beta operation system of dubious stability. This is not supported today. Power BI team will file a tracking bug for this issue.

Best Regards,

Herbert

tkr_office
Advocate I

Hy,
I had this problem myself.
After deleting sheet by sheet, I found out that the Power BI/ Q can load the excel.
After deleting row by row in the problem sheets, I found out that the Power BI/ Q gave this error,
when there were Active hyperlinks in cells.
After removing hyperlinks the xlsx just loaded.
So if you store www.google.com in a cell it's working.
But when the www.google.com is an active hyperlink (clickable, blue underlined text, which goes to specified address) it says:
Unable to connect
We encountered an error while trying to connect.
Details: "The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document."