Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Text in Text Boxes and Cards not showing on reports published to Power BI Online

I am having an issue on a couple of my published reports where text boxes and cards that are created on the original Power BI Desktop file do not show up once the report has been published. As you can see in the screen shot below, i have on the left screen the desktop file, there is a heading "Environmental Advisor Inspections" and a card with a count at "51".

On the right is the power bi online version of the publishe report. In this you can see that the text is missing. The visual is there, it is just that the text isn't showing. 

I am able to click in the pin of the visuals to pin it to a dashboard, when i do this i am able to see the text that should be displayed in the popup. 

I have been trying for some time now to work out what is happening here, but i have been unable to solve this. One of my collegues is having the same issue and this isn't the first time this has occured.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, 

Sean

1.png2.png3.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @seancumpson,

From your screenshots, the report resides on a premium app workspace, right? 

Does the issue occur to one specific report or all other reports within the same workspace? Is there any specific setting for textbox and card visual? 

Based on my test, textbox and card visual can display fine on Power BI service. Please try to update the desktop to the latest version then republish the report. Also please clear browser cache and access the report on Power BI service again to see if the same issue exists. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

seancumpson

Hi Qiuyun,

I have worked out what is causing this to occur, however I still can't work out why it is happening.

It occurs when I apply a custom theme to the file. I have used the excel tool that i got from: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-use-your-Office-Theme-as-Power-BI-Report-Theme/td-p/...

to create a theme using our corporate colours from excel. You can see a screen grab of the excel file and a comparison of the colour palettes below.

I have also made a mock up of what some visualisations look like with the default and the custom themes applied. What I find odd is:

- that even though the colour palettes similar in that they have whites where whites are and non-whites where non-whites are, the table colours flip. I am thinking this has something to do with the issue.

- and that even though the text remains visible in the desktop file. When it is published, is disappears.

We are publishing our reports to an online workspace, and then publishing them in an app. I have worked out that the cards and text are disapearing on every file where the custom theme is applied.

Appreciate your response, and any guidance on how i can use the corporate colours without having this issue occur would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

Excel toolExcel toolColour Palette ComparisonColour Palette ComparisonExample with Default ThemeExample with Default ThemeExample with Custom ThemeExample with Custom Theme

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @seancumpson,

Do you use the latest version Power BI desktop version to create the report? 

I have generated json file for Office theme in the Excel, after importing this theme to Power BI desktop, I find the card visual value data color is white, then we need to change the color to black to get value visible. 

In your scenario, please update the Power BI desktop to the latest version to check if the card visual and textbox display fine (if not, please check data color), then republish the report to Power BI service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to report that I am also experiencing this problem. I am using desktop version 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (May 2018). My circumstances seem very similar to the OP's:

- Reports look fine in desktop

- Custom theme (for corporate color palette) activated in desktop

- Once published in Power BI service, *some* text boxes have problems

- Problems can be appearing blank or only some text appearing or font is wrong color

I experimented and I can't seem to resolve what attributes of a text box correlate with this problem.

Seeming like a defect to me. Any ideas how to solve without reverting theme?

seancumpson

Hi @Anonymous

I worked out how to rectify my issues. It occurs when i import my theme. The following screen shots should give you guidance on how to fix.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I have worked out what my issues are. Appreciate your help with this one. If I can summerise the issues with Power Bi that may be able to be recified in a later versions to prevent other people having this issue.

- When importing a theme, even though the colour palette is similar (white in place of whites, colours in place of colours) the default text colour for the Card changes from Black to a White.

- When importing a theme, the font colour that is selected for text boxes and table values and totals shows on power BI desktop, but not on published. It is a colour and should show up on both.

Cheers,

Setting ChangesSetting ChangesView ComparisonView Comparison

WhidbeyJohn
Frequent Visitor

I am having a similar, but not identical problem.

I created visuals (including text boxes and cards) using PBI Desktop and published to the PBI service. All visuals were displayed correctly in the PBI Service report. But when added to a dashboard, the titles for text boxes were not displayed.

NOTE: I imported a theme from the app gallery into the PBI Desktop sometime during the creation of the visuals

Anonymous
Not applicable

I having the same issue. But with the "card"-module, it will not show in PBI service. Note: I also use a imported theme, which is global for the whole organization. Side note: we have to know kind of fast if this is a known matter, otherwise we will have to change the whole custom theme/PBI Template we made for the organization.

I thought the June release was going to solve this matter. So, to satisfy my customer's urgent need, I had to use "multi-row cards", which will show in PBI Service. Though, it's not the best solution due to the inability to format the numbers.