Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tabular Perspectives Dropped When Editing Azure AS Datasets in the Power BI Service

Hello,

I am trying to set up some Live Direct Connect Power BI reports over our new Azure AS database and it appears everything works fine in the Power BI desktop. However, when you publish the reports to the Power BI Service, the Tabular Perspectives for the corresponding reports are seemingly dropped as all of the tables in the model are exposed in the cloud "Service" version that were not exposed in the Power BI desktop application.  

I have tried a few hacks and variations and googled it and haven't had much luck coming up with a resolution to the problem. Is this a known issue? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this. 

Thanks, 

David

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@DavidKett

This has been reported to Power BI team internally in the middle of this month: CRI 35751567

Based on the response from the product team, PowerBI.com ignoring perspective selected in PBI Desktop after publish is 'by design'. You can provide your suggestions to improve PowerBI at https://ideas.powerbi.com/ or vote on existing idea like https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14111691-ability-to-select-ssas-p....

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

jtgooding

I cry BS on 'by design' AS on premise had the same bug 2 years ago and it was resolved, Azure AS should be nothing more than AS in the cloud with a new authentication mechanisim.  This totally makes Azure AS useless in PowerBI 'IF' you use perspectives, as the dataset can't be re-used because 200 extra objects that shouldn't be visible and make no logical data sense are now visible and can allow an end user to create invalid reports from the dataset.

If it was a bug in SSAS On-Prem it is a bug in SSAS Azure, one would hope this is nothing more than pushing the correct connection string to the cloud and that the PowerBI engine is using the same code for on-premise vs cloud for connecting and querying.

We had several customers holding off on PowerBI deployment until Azure AS became gerneal release, now that it is, they are looking at other alternatives to using the cloud because in their opinion, their users are 'confused' why all the extra content for business segments that they don't need i.e. Finance sees the sales perspective etc.

John