Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Support needed: shared dashboard does not refresh automatically if last login is a while ago

Hi,

I have created a PowerBI dashboard which I have shared with a number of user within my organisation.

One of these users is showing this dashboard on a TV. We refresh the dashboard automatically one time a day via Gateway connection. What we have observed is that the shared dashboard on the TV refreshed automatically if the PowerBI login of the user is not longer ago than one hour. If the last login is more than one hour ago the dashboard does not refresh themselve. It still shows the old numbers. If the user login again on the TV than also this dashboard shows latest numbers.

It has nothing to do with waiting for 15 minutes. We have waited for an > 30 minutes and nothing was happening.

Is there any explaination for such a behaviour and is there something we can do so that the dashboard does refresh even if the last login is a while ago.

Thank you very much for any useful information.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ThomasD

I just tested with a dashboard which has some tiles from a report (Direct Query to SQL DB). Even when the last login is more than one hour ago, the dashboard always refreshes about every 15 minutes. I noticed that you said your dashboard automatically one time a day, are you using import mode?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ThomasD

Hi Herbert,

thank you for the information. In our setup we are not using direct query. We are using import mode. We load the data once in the morning via Gateway to refresh our reports and dashboards. However if the dashbord was already opened for a while (>1h) its not refreshing itself. I have to go to the screen and do a logout and a login again. Then the new numbers are reflected and displayed on the screen.

Best,

Thomas

aurischa
Regular Visitor

Hi All, 

I'm experiencing the same behaviour. My instance (as the owner of the dashboard) shows the correct updated data however the shared dashboard on the digital signage shows the data from the date the dashboard was shared. I have remoted to the digital signage and with that account I have manually tried to refresh but nothing changes however, when I drill down into the dashboard tile shows the correct data. It would seem that the shared dashboard from the perspective of the account it has been shared to sees the data as a snapshot rather than an actual synced dashboard. 

Notes for clarity: using Jira data import, created a report, then manually created a dashboard with some of the compoanants from the report, shareing from an administrator account to another administrator (service account).