Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Strange behavior with drilldown mode

Hi! I am currently developing a custom visual. One of the features that I need is to drilldown on click of a data point. A behavior like the "histogram" default component would be perfect (the user can select data, then if [s]he clicks on "drill mode" can drill down contextual data).

Trying out the sampleBarChart component from the Microsoft's tutorial, I get a strange behavior:

- In PowerBI Desktop everything works as expected.

- In PowerBI Online (IE11/FF/Chrome) it does nothing.

Strangely enough, if I manually force the refresh of the data (by for example resising the visual - edit mode only) I get the right data! For this reason I guess a possible workaround would be a simple refresh... But AFAIK it is not possible to trigger a refresh on a visual by code...

I am attaching a pbix with a dumb dataset to reproduce the issue. I had to enable drilldown on the sampleBarChart visual: I simply added

"drilldown": {
	"roles": ["category"]
},

in the capabilities and built it.

Can anybody help? Is there any workaround?

Attachment:

- PBIX (I could not upload it here...) https://www.sendspace.com/file/1oo07q

Comments
marco6
Frequent Visitor

I have updated with more informations in this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Drilling-and-Interactivity-across-pages/td-p/191252/jump-...

As you can read there the unconsistend behavior extends to PBI Desktop as well (in a reverse fashion!).

Moreover the bug seams not really related to custom drilldown/selection as I thought, but to the "expand" feature.

It would be really important form my company to understand and possibly to have a workaround as this feature is a must-have for our clients.

Thank you,

Marco Manino

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@marco6

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve updated in the previous reported CRI 39080348 
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted