Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sorting the bar chart based on the values doesn't work

Having a single bar chart, I am unable to sort it by values in ascending order.
The sorting works for category (axis) labels in both orders. And for value it works only in the descening order. So it is really strange 🙂

Clicking the first sorting option (axis label) works fine - it is switching the ascending/descending order.

Clicking the second sorting option switches between: (1) descending order by values and (2) ascending order by labels.
PBI-sorting.jpg

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I cannot repro the same issue on latest Sep 2017 version of PBI Desktop. Please take a look at following gif and let me know if there is any difference between our repro steps.

Sorting the bar chart based on the values doesn't work_1.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Herbert,

thanks for the reaction.
The issue is still happening to me and I've had the September version already last week.

The problem with your example is, that when the collumns seems to be sorted ascending based on the value, they are at the same time sorted alphabetically based on the labels. So the behaviour perceived by you is consistent with what I described.
Could you please try the different situation?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 47310792
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbert, thanks for reporting.
Hopefully it will be solved soon.
(If I am right, it worked before the September update.)

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

This is a known UX/discovery issue that we are hoping to improve on. Clicking the name of the column just turns sort on or off. You must click the far left area, the A->Z icon, in order to change sort direction.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Herbert,

I see, where my confusion, that it worked, came from. Really appreciate your investigation!

Best

Vera

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered