Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sorting broken in bar charts in PBI Desktop

Hi,

I'm not sure when this behaviour changed but certainly, in the June version of PBI Desktop, you can no longer sort any of the bar or line charts from  A-Z instead of the default Z-A.

As a result, all time-based bar charts etc. are sorting in the wrong direction (Z-A).

When you use the hamburger menu at the top right to choose to sort by the x-axis dimension (e.g. Fiscal Year), it used to toggle from A-Z to Z-A and back. Instead, now it toggles off sorting by the axis dimension and starts to sort by the measure value Z-A (e.g. Sales) . Since the axis dimension always sorts Z-A by default, this makes it impossible to sort the x-axis in the required direction.

A workaround at present is to publish the solution to powerbi.com and the correct sort order can be done in the web service.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Brian_M,

Please click on the highlighted button to change sort order: 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

Brian_M
Responsive Resident

No as I explained that is what wasn't working. It was toggling off the sort instead of reversing the sort.

I saw that the service was exhibiting a slightly different UI around sorting and figured that the Desktop was temporarily broken waiting an update to catch up with the cloud service functionality.

I've downloaded the latest July desktop version and it now has the same new sort UI as the Power BI.com service, which has now fixed the bug.