Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Slicer correctly filters matrix to empty in desktop; matrix in web version retains previous contents

Slicer correctly filters matrix to an empty set in the July 2017 desktop version.

In the published web version, the sliced matrix incorrectly retains pre-slice contents, seems to ignore slicer.

Slicer field is in fact table.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @3jNs7,

Did you mean you select the same value in the slicer visual, the filtered matrix display different results in desktop and service? Or you already filtered matrix in desktop then publish to service get the different result?

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017), once we click Publish, it will prompt us to save the slicer selection change firstly. The published report in Power BI service will be the same as in desktop.

Also please open the report in Power BI service and click Edit Report, select the slicer visual, enable Visual Interactions, check if the matrix visual is set with filter icon . See: Visualization interactions in a Power BI report.

w4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds like the same issue I'm getting with a Matrix, slicer and PowerBI Embedded.  I just logged an issue for it here.  I also provided a pbix.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Matrix-with-Slicer-in-PBI-Embedded-Slicer-returning-no-da...

The matrix does not show as empty when the slicer results in an empty set.  It continues to show the previous set of data from the last slicer option.  Interestingly, if you use the Export feature, the export is correctly empty.  Clearly a bug.

3jNs7
Regular Visitor

Replying to Qiuyun Yu's questions on my original post:

Yes, I do mean that when I select a particular value in the slicer visual, the filtered matrix displays different results in desktop and service.

Also, I verified that in the service version, under Visual Interactions, the matrix visual is set with the filter icon.  

Thanks!

marcelammelo
Helper I

I have the same issue. After publishing, the matrix didn't work through slicers when data was empty.

BrianSchaff
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. I have a filter for country and then sales per country on two different companies.

If i filter one of the countries on the country filter the two sales tables should filter country but they only do if both tables have sales for that country. If one of them doesnt have sales in the country i have selected to filter the table wont be filtered. I would expect the table to go blank.

BrianSchaff
Regular Visitor

Just to add to my comment above this is only an issue on Powerbi Web. When i do the same in powerbi desktop the filters work fine.

Then i publish and the filters act as described.

spijker_hhg
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue here too. My situation:

I have a matrix that shows projects, costcategory and results. besides that there is a slicer with Year and Project.

If I run the report in service with a filter on year X and nothing selected in the projec slicer everything is fine, the matrix is only showing the relevant results.

The moment I select a project in the slicer project that is not in the matrix (thus: has no results in the selected year) the matrix freezes and shows it original content, when I try to scroll through it, it eventually turns blank.

Any filtering on a matrix (either from a slicer/table) that filters the matrix on a value that is not part of the scope of that matrix (e.g. due to another filter) will freeze the matrix.

Problem_not_filte_matrxi.PNG

in the example above the selected project should make the whole matrix Blank, but it doesnt. All other elments that are connecte to the exact same set of slicers (e.g. tables) do get empty. When I change the matrix to a table, it does get empty.

Please look into this. We are using a connection with a tabular model, reports work great in PBI Desktop Version: 2.48.4792.481 64-bit (juli 2017).

spijker_hhg
Frequent Visitor

looks like this is fixed now in the service, the reports that had this problem no longer do.

Any filtering on a matrix (either from a slicer/table) that filters the matrix on a value that is not part of the scope of that matrix (e.g. due to another filter) will now empty the matrix.

Thanks for fixing it!

marcelammelo
Helper I

Yes! Now it works fine! Thanks for fixing it!!!