Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Single Template for PowerBI datasets

Hi,

I am an intern at Microsoft, Hyderabad. My solution uploads data to Push datasets of the Customers. These datasets have the exact same schema for all the Customers. So now I want to create a template which I would share with my customers. They would be able to connect to their Datasets and view the report.

Is it possible? If yes, how, Because I was previously encountering this problem

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Creating-Templates-for-PowerBI-datasets/idc-p/441875#M27200

Further is it possible for the users to have no interaction with PowerBI desktop. Can he/she do everything online (using PowerBI online service) ? 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Koustav,

In your scenario, I would suggest you create a app workspace and publish your report to this app work space, then grant these customers view only permission in this app workspace. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Koustav
Regular Visitor

No, app workspace will be common across all customers.

Let me explain my situation properly.

Every customer does a job in his cloud account of VSTS. Let us call that job 'X'.

Huge amount of data is generated generated while this job X is performed. The customers want these data to be sent to them alongwith PowerBI reports. We need to provide them with data as well as some template to which they can connect and view their basic report. The purpose of giving all the data is so that users can customize their report according to their needs.

Now app workspace won't work since every customer will be able to see reports of every other customer. This is not wanted. All that is wanted people should be able to see only their or their organizational reports.

Further the solution should be realtime, that is while job X is executing. People want it to be realtime reports alongwith customization. This is where the problem starts.

We have decided to send data through rest apis to customers' powerbi account. We have selected the dataset to be "Push dataset" and not Streaming since "Streaming dataset" amount of data created is too huge. The schema in which we expose the data is also the same across all the customers. Hence I want to give them a template from where they can start and continue building richer reports.

Can he somehow not use the PowerBI desktop but still make use of templates our team provides. If yes , please guide me and also tell how to create this generic template. Normal templates tend not to work because of the live connection.