Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Search Box on Slicer Missing

Hello,

The Search Box on the Slicer Visualization seems to have a bug when a PBIX file is loaded to the Power BI Service. This issue is affecting the drop-down format of a Slicer. Also it seems to only affect Slicers with a larger amount of items. When there are 2 or 3 items in the slicer the search box will appear however if there are 20 plus or more items it is not working. I've tried several different browsers, so I don't believe that is the issue. Below are screenshot showing the search box has been enabled and the missing search box when you select the drop down. Please help!!! We're on the verge of rolling out hundreds of new Power BI accounts and this is a serious issue when you have large slicer needs.

Search On.jpgSearch Not Showing.jpg

Comments
kimani
Power BI Team

Awesome - thanks for hanging on while we got that fixed! Sorry for the trouble. 

MojoGene
Post Patron

I am still seeing irregular behavior with the slicer search fuction in both list and dropdown mode. The slicer search function works fine with text fields--when I select the ellipsis in the upper right hand corner I have a "Search" option, but I am seeing no search option when the field in the slicer is numerical or date. Clicking on the ellipsis in the upper right hand corner of the slicer does not give an option to select "Search." Is this intentional? I have over a thousand items in a numerical list. This requires a search function for the slicer to be useful. Thanks.

XMonsterX
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys,

Microsoft may not have solved this, but there is already a solution in the custom templates. 

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/

The custom visual that works with the search bar is called "Smart Filter by SQLBI"

I've downloaded and used this on my work PC (That I don't have admin on) and I haven't had any issues downloading or importing. 

For anyone who doesn't know how to import a custom template, you need to download. Open Power BI desktop. Click the Menu button. Select Import. Choose import custom visual.

Happy intellegence.

David

Tamerlane
Helper I

I can confirm that this is still an issue that randomly pops up. The custom visual is a good alternative but not a solution since it works a bit different than the standard slicer.

hmedinaa
Frequent Visitor

Any update on this issue?

or any other trick?

Thanks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe this is has been resolved. I haven't had the issue in awhile

hmedinaa
Frequent Visitor

Yes you are right MikeThibs, is working good

Thanks,

Jasper
Advocate I

Please also fix the search option in the slicer when filtering numbers! (text works great)

MojoGene
Post Patron
Jasper: Thanks for echoing this point. I was beginning to think that I was experiencing something unique. Indeed, the "Search" box on the slicer only works with text. It would be very useful if it worked with numbers.
LizBethA
Advocate I

I seem to be having this problem now since we updated to the March, 2018 release.  Anyone else?